We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berea/Slade: Good hiking and natural beauty for the spring?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Berea/Slade: Good hiking and natural beauty for the spring?

We'll be spending around 4 days in KY, making Richmond our base this April. We'd like to do some hiking during this time. We're considering going to the Berea area and also the Natural Bridge State Park. DH and I enjoy waterfalls, are fit, do moderate hikes (not rock-climbing LOL). We think this will be a good area to do this along with Bourbon Trail, historic sights etc.

Would you agree that the Berea Trail and Natural Bridge are the two best options? Any other suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
Kentucky
Berea
Berea
Kentucky
Kentucky Bourbon Trail
Kentucky Bourbon Trail
367 Reviews
Kentucky
Lexington Ky
Level Contributor
367 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berea/Slade: Good hiking and natural beauty for the spring?

The pinnacles trails are supposed to be beautiful. We have always hiked in the gorge so we haven't been. After speaking with friends that hike in Berea we plan on doing so this spring.

We've hiked many trails in the gorge, our favorites are Angel Windows and the part of Rough Trail that is accessed from the next parking lot past Angel Windows. Another beautiful area is Gladie bottom. I would take in one of the arches. Natural Bridge is beautiful and I would say its a moderate hike.

Mentioned in this post
Berea
Berea
Kentucky
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berea/Slade: Good hiking and natural beauty for the spring?

Thanks LexGal. I'm glad to hear a personal recommendation. We spent a good chunk of the day working on our trip plans. I think we'll be staying in Lexington, rather that Richmond. The more we checked into things, it seemed that Richmond would a bit further south than we'd like. From what we could tell the Bourbon trail locations are east of Lexington and that would be an easier location to get to Natural Bridge. Now we just have to decide which hotel in Lexington.

Ah, how wonderful to have such problems! Half the fun of the trip is planning it out.

Mentioned in this post
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Richmond
Richmond
Kentucky
Level Contributor
399 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berea/Slade: Good hiking and natural beauty for the spring?

I love the pinnacles area in Berea. I live in Richmond and we hike at the pinnacles frequently. I would say the hiking level is moderate. there is also an easy hike a little further off the beaten path called Anglin falls. easy hike but beautiful view at the end.

Mentioned in this post
Berea
Berea
Kentucky
Richmond
Richmond
Kentucky
Level Contributor
399 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berea/Slade: Good hiking and natural beauty for the spring?

I love the pinnacles area in Berea. I live in Richmond and we hike at the pinnacles frequently. I would say the hiking level is moderate. there is also an easy hike a little further off the beaten path called Anglin falls. easy hike but beautiful view at the end.

Mentioned in this post
Berea
Berea
Kentucky
Richmond
Richmond
Kentucky
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berea/Slade: Good hiking and natural beauty for the spring?

I saved this to my Trips folder. I hope we get good weather. Two years ago we were in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park for the day and had heavy rain all day. Usually when we're in KY/TN in the spring it's beautiful.

Ohio
Level Contributor
749 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Berea/Slade: Good hiking and natural beauty for the spring?

Yes! Natural Bridge State Park is a terrific spot for hiking and enjoying the natural beauty. The rhododendrons should be blooming, too and they are in abundance in the park. Additionally, the park is adjacent to The Red River Gorge geological area where you will find many more trails than you will have time to hike.

Check out this map of the area and of the trails:

www.redrivergorge.com/pdf/rrg_map_sm.pdf

Also, here is a map which includes descriptions of the top 10 hikes in the Gorge: toredrivergorge.com/top-10/…

Appalachian...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berea/Slade: Good hiking and natural beauty for the spring?

If you've decided to stay in Lexington, hiking in Berea (The Pinnacle and its trails) may be out of your way, depending on which part of Lexington you've decided to stay in. The northern Berea exit on I-75 is Exit 77 and is about 30 minutes from the Hamburg area, 45-50 minutes from downtown.

However, Indian Fort/the Pinnacle is lovely as is the town, which is small and quaint, and full of artisans to be visited if you enjoy that.

Mentioned in this post
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Berea
Berea
Kentucky
Hamburg
Hamburg
Germany
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Berea/Slade: Good hiking and natural beauty for the spring?

Thanks for the comment about Berea. We've actually stopped at Berea twice in in the past on our way from WI to FL. We really like the area and seriously considered staying there. However we're staying at the Doubletree in the eastern section of Lexington. We've got a nice chunk of points for free nights courtesy of Hilton, that's why we chose it.

We don't mind the drive. When we visited Ft. Lauderdale, we spent one day driving to Sanibel, another driving to the Keys. When we take our spring vacation we drive from WI to Destin, FL but find some interesting places to stay along the way to explore. One year was Hilton Head/Savannah, another St. Augustine/Apalachicola, last year was Highlands, NC. If you check on a map, none of these are really "on the way" to Destin, are they? But it works for us!

Mentioned in this post
Berea
Berea
Kentucky
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Highlands
Highlands
North Carolina Mountains, NC
9. Re: Berea/Slade: Good hiking and natural beauty for the spring?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 06:15