We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bourbon Trail in February

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
Bourbon Trail in February

I'm surprising my husband with a weekend getaway to KY. He is an avid bourbon drinker so the bourbon trail is right up his alley! We'll be going over President's Day weekend and will drive from St. Louis Friday evening and have Saturday and Sunday for activities and head home after breakfast on Monday. I'd love some help in planning our itinerary. He loves Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace so those are must do's. We'd also be interested in checking out local breweries. I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation on staying in one location or two to make for less driving and what areas I should look. I'm also wondering if the tour groups are worth it or if driving the trail ourselves is the way to go (we'll have a sober driver). Any help would be really appreciated as this is something I know nothing about!

Thanks,

Sara

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bourbon Trail in February

Buffalo Trace is in Frankfort (about 30 minutes from Lexington) and Woodford Reserve is just outside Frankfort. Town Branch is a new distillery on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail located in downtown Lexington. Lexington also has two breweries (Country Boy Brewing and West Sixth Brewery).

Going on a tour really depends on how much money you want to spend. Woodford Reserve costs $7 and Buffalo Trace is free. A tour may cost you around $25/person; however, you may get a tour along the way.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
786 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bourbon Trail in February

I would start off on the west end of the Bourbon Trail. You can stay in the little historic town of Bardstown(newly named the most beautiful small town in America). On the way in to Bardstown off of I-65 S. you can hit the Jim Beam distillery, not the most exciting but worth a few hours. Then a few miles down the road toward Bardstown is Four Roses. A small distillery but very under rated. When we went they gave 3 very generous samples. So when you reach B-town you can stop by your hotel and still visit Heaven Hill and nearby Maker's Mark(the best location IMO). Then the next day you can go toward Lexington and visit Woodford Reserve(my favorite Bourbon also). In closing if you decide just to visit a few places I wouldn't miss Maker's Mark or Woodford Reserve.

Frankfort, Kentucky
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bourbon Trail in February

Hi Sara!

Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve have 2 of the best tours of any of the distilleries on the Bourbon Trail. You can easily do both of those tours in one day. Near Lawrenceburg you can also tour Four Roses and Wild Turkey distilleries. In Lexington, the Alltech company brews Kentucky Ale and has also opened the newest bourbon distillery called Town Branch. I don't know if you can tour the brewery, but they do have distillery tours. It's tiny and still new so they're still working some of the kinks out.

You are also in the heart of horse country and a drive down the Old Frankfort Pike from Frankfort to Lexington is beautiful - even in February.

Lexington is the largest city in the area, with lots of lodging options, although there are some very nice B&Bs in Versailles and Frankfort.

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bourbon Trail in February

Sara, I hope you will post a Trip Report after you get back. We'll be doing this in April and I'm curious to hear your take. We were at Makers Mark a few years ago, despite not being much of a drinker, I really enjoyed it. Beautiful location and fascinating.

5. Re: Bourbon Trail in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 07:16