We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mammoth Cave

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
171 posts
205 reviews
Save Topic
Mammoth Cave

Hi all,

I will be visiting Mammoth Cave with a friend in a few weeks. We are both 20 years old and enjoy nature, wildlife, and scenery. We will be there for just one day, a Sunday, and we want to see what there is to see and move on. How much time should I plan on spending there? Is 2 hours sharp enough or do I need to leave room for more sightseeing? I really want to see and enjoy the place, and not in a crazy rushed way-so how much time do I need?

Thank you

Level Contributor
388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mammoth Cave

Have you looked at the tours and chosen one yet? This will dictate how much time you will need as some are a few hours and some are more. If you are the adventurous sort and physically able I would recommend the wild cave tour!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
171 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mammoth Cave

I looked into the different tours and most of them don't exceed 2 hours. My question, however, is whether it's worth it to spend more time in the caves or in the park itself.

Los Angeles
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mammoth Cave

The landscape is beautiful, but the cave is unique. Most of the cave tours exceed two hours, whatever impression you may have gotten. This is a World Heritage Site and the longest cave in the world. See the cave and then hike or bike ride in the surface park when you are willing to spare it more time.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
28,809 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mammoth Cave

We had a great time when we did the cave tour loved it.

kentucky
Level Contributor
472 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mammoth Cave

I would count on 3hrs, just to see the visitor center, check in and go on the tour. You can then walk around the area more if you like afterward. You cannot do the 2 hr tour in 2 hrs sharp. You have to check in, they give instructions, you have to wait for everyone to get gathered up.... We have done 3 different tours and they have all been good.

6. Re: Mammoth Cave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Kentucky
Recent Conversations