We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kentucky Vacation

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
19 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Kentucky Vacation

Hello All,

We have picked the great state of Kentucky to see on our annual vacation. We (just my husband and I, we're in our mid 30s) will be driving from Wisconsin and plan to spend 9 nights in Kentucky in September but we are not sure where to start planning.

Things that look interesting to us now:

Louisville Slugger Tour

Derby Museum

Jim Beam Tour

Mammoth Caves

Daniel Boone / Cumberland Falls Parks

I am looking for Kentucky's "MUST DOs" across the entire state. And also thoughts or suggestions on what towns to stay in and how long to stay in each area.

Any suggestions or opinions would be so valued. Feeling just slightly overwhelmed. :)

THANKS!

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kentucky Vacation

Those are all good choices. You may also want to check out www.lbl.org if you want to go further west in the state, and also the Kentucky state parks.

Level Contributor
388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kentucky Vacation

I would recommend the Red River Gorge area as well as Natural Bridge State Park if you are interested in scenic beauty and hiking. You can hike to the top of Natural Bridge for a beautiful outlook. This area is located about 45 minutes away from Lexington. If you like artsy things you might want to check out Berea, Ky and the Ky artisans Center as well as many of the other artisans in Berea. Boone Tavern hotel and restaurant is there as well. Berea is off of i75 and will be on the way to Cumberland Falls if you are going south from Lexington.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
49 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kentucky Vacation

Those are Great Choices! I recommend the Mammoth Cave highly, although it's a lengthy drive from most cities. Lexington and Louisville have many nice hotels, and would be nice places to stay. I don't know about "MUST DOS," but here are some cool places you might be interested in:

LAKES AND RIVERS:

Cumberland Falls

Falls Of The Ohio (In Indiana, but right across from Louisville)

Lake Cumberland

Belle of Louisville Steamboat

HORSE RACING:

Keeneland

HIKING:

Red River Gorge

Natural Bridge

CAVES:

Mammoth Cave

Carter Caves

Cave Country Canoeing (Southern Indiana)

OTHER:

Louisville Slugger Museum

Danial Boone Forest

Enjoy your stay!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kentucky Vacation

Places that I have personally visited that might be of interest are the Corvette plant and museum in Bowling Green, the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington (has many breeds of horses, two wonderful museums, a number of champion race horses including Cigar, Go for Gin, and Funny Cide, and a variety of horse competitions going on throughout the year), the Keeneland horse auction (the big one takes place in September, but you will have to see if the dates of the auction line up with any of your tour dates), Old Friends thoroughbred retirement facility in Georgetown (has a number of Breeders Cup and Eclipse Award winners, plus Sarava who won the Belmont), the Abraham Lincoln birthplace in Hodgenville, the Old Kentucky Home state park in Bardstown, Ashland (Henry Clay's house) in Lexington, Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill (the largest restored Shaker village in the US), the Dixie Belle riverboat at Shaker VIllage, and the Toyota plant in Georgetown. A couple of places I haven't been to but would like to see some day are the Newport Aquarium across the river from Cincinnati, the White Hall mansion in Richmond, and the Frazier History Museum in Louisville. There are also quite a few bourbon producers you can visit. The only one I have visited was Wild Turkey, which was very interesting, as we even got to meet Jimmy Russell their master distiller.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 02:58
Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
19 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kentucky Vacation

Thank you all SO much for the tips and ideas! That sure makes trip planning much easier. We're planning on the first week of September so I'd better get some things booked quick!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kentucky Vacation

Just so you know, the Keeneland yearling auction starts on 9/9, so you may be able to catch that at the and of your trip, if you are interested in horses (and if you aren't interested in horses, you can ignore a lot of suggestions that you have received):

http://www.keeneland.com/calendar

Also, just so you know, there are a number of tour operators that run tours around Lexington. Some go to Keeneland, some go to Old Friends, and most generally go to at least one major thoroughbred horse farm.

Also, since you mentioned Jim Beam, I figure you are interested in a Bourbon tour, so you might as well see a whole bunch of options at once:

http://kybourbontrail.com/

Edited: 31 July 2013, 00:47
Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kentucky Vacation

I'd also recommend the Toyota Tour and the nearby Kentucky Horse Park. I've been to both and enjoyed them both. Mammoth Cave is also nice. I've been wanting to do the Corvette tour but haven't gotten over there - it's kind of out of the way. In Louisville, the Kentucky Derby Museum is well worth doing. Another option is Shaker Village (http://www.shakervillageky.org/) if you want to see how the Shakers lived - it's a little bit west of Lexington so you go through miles of horse farms to get there. In Corbin (off I-75) is the original Kentucky Fried Chicken. The real gem is the Kentucky artisan center - off I-75 exit 77 - what beautiful handmade items they have. A lot like the Tamarack in West Virginia, if you've ever been there.

8. Re: Kentucky Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 05:17