We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kentucky Derby- first time- staying in Indianapolis

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kentucky Derby- first time- staying in Indianapolis

I am traveling to the States from Ireland and have decided to go to the Derby. Myself and my partner plan on staying in Indianapolis. Does anyone know how I can get to the derby from Indianapolis? Also, what time does the Derby start and what time does it finish? Any tips or pieces of advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, T

Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kentucky Derby- first time- staying in Indianapolis

The best way to get to Louisville from Indy would be to rent a car. It is about a 2-3 hour trip and public transportation options are not that good. The derby is the last race of the day and usually goes off around 5:30 or 6:00 if I am remembering correctly.

Level Contributor
1,260 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kentucky Derby- first time- staying in Indianapolis

Indianapolis is a 1hour 45 minute drive to Louisville via Interstate 65.

The gates open at Churchill Downs at around 8am(ET) and the first races start around 10:30. Post Time for the Derby is 6:24pm.

3. Re: Kentucky Derby- first time- staying in Indianapolis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 06:17