We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip ideas on the coast?

Asheville, North...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road trip ideas on the coast?

Hey all,

I'm brainstorming possible road trip ideas for the Thanksgiving 'break' since flight prices go through the roof.

Does anyone have any advice for possibly driving along the coast of Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas and camping/paddling/adventuring along the way? I'm at a loss of what to actually look for. I've never been down this way.

Anything from renting some canoes/kayaks and camping to cheap hostels/hotels in towns would be of interest. I'd be traveling w/ adventurous people (3 others) that go w/ the flow (& probably have 3 dogs along for the ride). "Off the beaten path" always strikes my interest first. So, anything goes!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
275 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip ideas on the coast?

I'd suggest driving down I-65 south to the Mobile/Pensacola area and then exploring areas off of I-10 going west.

Around Thanksgiving, it could be warm or chilly but the weather is usually pleasant - fall colors don't last long down here but late November is a pretty good time to see them.

I have a website up that might give you some ideas: bayounature.com

I'll be improving this site soon.

There's plenty of fantastic scenery off the beaten path in this region to be seen that not many people except locals know about - especially if you have a boat.

In Lafayette, LA, check out http://www.packpaddle.com/

If you visit that area, stay at The Blue Moon Guest House.

I've been down every coastal road on the Gulf between Galveston and Panama City (including al of Louisiana), so if you'd like to know about a specific area, let me know.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip ideas on the coast?

You really can't ride along the coast of Louisiana, except in the far SW part of the State, Holly Beach to the Texas line. There are a couple of spots that you can drive to, like Grand Isle, or Cypremort Point. Calmwater Charters rents kayaks on Grand isle, and they are on the internet. Lots of good fishing down there, though the beach is not pretty like the Alabama coast. It might be worth a side trip down there.

Asheville, North...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip ideas on the coast?

Thanks guys. This at least gives me some kind of idea!!

4. Re: Road trip ideas on the coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2011, 07:18