We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Penobscot Narrows Observatory Opens

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
New Penobscot Narrows Observatory Opens

For anyone traveling RT1 to eastern Maine (Bar Harbor etc) here is a link to an article announcing the opening of the new observatory. I for one certainly plan on a visit there soon. I think it is something that area and the state as a whole can be proud off. Lets hope it really does get a lot of visits and helps boost the area's economy. On a clear day the veiw will be fantastic.

www.bangornews.com/news/t/penobscot.aspx…

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Penobscot Narrows Observatory Opens

Thanks CountyMounty for posting about the Observatory article.

I read the article and all I can is WOW! Can't wait to take a ride up there and to the very top to check out the views. Looks fabulous!!!

Thanks again for writing about it.

cozyharbor

P.S. Btw, all anyone needs to do is type in www.bangornews.com and the headline/story about the tower/observatory is on the front page :).

Wabash, Indiana
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Penobscot Narrows Observatory Opens

I couldn't quite figure out the location of the bridge - ??

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,533 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Penobscot Narrows Observatory Opens

It's near Bucksport, Maine, about 40 minutes south of Bar Harbor. It carries Highway 1.

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Penobscot Narrows Observatory Opens

Yes it is near Bucksport. It is the new bridge that carries US RT 1/3 traffic over the Penobscot River. Technically it connects the towns of Verona Island and Prospect. If you were traveling RT1 up the coast to Bar Harbor area or anywhere downeast you would have to cross this bridge. Also right next to the western side of the bridge is another interesting place to visit, Fort Knox State Park.

It is almost exactly half way between the larger towns of Belfast and Ellsworth (1/2 hr to each) or about an hour from either Camden/Rockport or Bar Harbor.

Looking south from the observation tower will give you great views out over Penobscot Bay and the coastal area around Camden Rockport, looking north will give you views inland, easterly gives views toward Blue Hill and Acadia Region. The clearer the day the farther you can see of course but even on somewhat cloudy days you should have a decent view of Penobscot bay (as long as it is not foggy).

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Penobscot Narrows Observatory Opens

I visited the bridge yesterday, and it is so worth the stop. Omigosh, the view is spectacular.

I've sure that everyone who rode across the old bridge peeked to either side and were treated to a nice view of Bucksport and the river. Now imagine that view, but twenty times better!

The entire bridge set-up is impressive. Hats off to the visionaries who made this observatory possible. I think this is going to be a favorite tourist attraction very soon. Might be just the shot in the arm that sleepy little Bucksport needs.

6. Re: New Penobscot Narrows Observatory Opens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 16:20