We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best things to see in one day in Maine

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
181 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Best things to see in one day in Maine

I'll be staying in Boston (staying in Dedham) area for just over a week in the middle of July and I was wondering what the best places to see in Maine would be if we allocated a day to sightseeing there.

We will have a car, so transport's not a probelm

Dorset, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Best things to see in one day in Maine

John,

In one day, you could travel to Ogunquit, Kennebunkport and Perkins Cove. All are about 90 minutes north of Boston. Traffic will be heavy on weekends, and parking will be scarce. But it's a lovely area, and the scenery and seafood are delicious.

Alternatively, Boston's North Shore offers beautiful scenery, lots of history, and quaint New England towns, including Manchester-by-the-Sea and Magnolia, parts of Gloucester (Wingarshaek, Eastern Point) and Rockport. I assume you'll visit Salem on another day and spend the day there and in Marblehead or Beverly.

Rick L.

Dorset, Ohio

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best things to see in one day in Maine

Hi John,

I agree with OhioRick's suggestions of touring Ogunquit, Kennebunkport, etc.

I also agree with his other suggestion about visiting the North Shore of Boston i.e. Manchester, Rockport, Gloucester. Don't forget the small town of Essex if you head to this area. Lots of antique shops, marshland and pretty scenery, and the Woodsman for clams, lobster, etc.

Google the Chamber of Commerce for each of the areas you're considering visiting and they'll provide you with lots of local knowledge and information.

Also think of possibly purchasing a copy of Christina Tree's "Maine: An Explorer's Guide". I think this is one of the best guide books for Maine and have been using it for eons. She also has one for Massachusetts and Cape Cod. Her info is extrememely helpful, accurate, and full of local knowledge, points of interests not to be missed, and recommendations on where to stay, dine, etc.

One last source that might help is www.visitmaine.com. Once there, click on the areas you're interested in visiting and all kinds of links will appear.

Good luck and have a great time :)!

cozyharbor

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best things to see in one day in Maine

I would agree with what has been suggested. Those are good and easily reachable areas for one day. In fact, depending on your agenda for the week, you might want to consider a day, or even part of a day, on Boston's North Shore, which is more easily reachable from Dedham. And then, take a separate full day to go to York, Ogunquit, Kennebunkport, etc. Boston's North Shore is quite lovely, but very much of an upscale suburb, compared with Maine, which is more of a vacation area, more relaxed.

4. Re: Best things to see in one day in Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 09:21