We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should hubby and I go for a romantic trip to Maine??

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
962 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Where should hubby and I go for a romantic trip to Maine??

We are from Massachusetts so we have been to Maine many, many time. We stayed in Ogunquit, Kennebunkport and Camden. Looking for somewhere new to go for a few days this summer. We like nice accomodations, walking, hiking, and great restaurants. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should hubby and I go for a romantic trip to Maine??

Bar Harbor (pick from any number of nice B&Bs or high end hotels)

Don't want to drive that far? Go to Portland (stay in the Old Port or out at the Black Point Inn)

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should hubby and I go for a romantic trip to Maine??

Hi Janiekins53,

How about staying at the Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth, just south of downtown Portland? Check it out at www.innbythesea.com.

I've stayed there a few times and love it. See if you can get one of the suites overlooking the water. These accomodations have everything you could possibly want and then some, plus lots of space, and they are furnished nicely.

There's also a lovely boardwalk to beautiful Crescent Beach, and an excellent restaurant , the Audubon Room, that has great views, romantic ambience, and wonderful food. Ask for a window seat.

Along with the above there's a pool, tennis, pretty gardens and it's just a few minutes drive to Portland Headlight and the Lobster Shack which is great for lunch w/breathtaking views of the ocean and shipping lanes.

Daytrips could easily be made to the Old Port in Portland, LLBeans and Freeport, or even up to the Boothbay Harbor.

In Portland you could take the ferry to tour Casco Bay. And then try and get reservations for either Fore Street or Five Fifty Five for dinner. Both are excellent restaurants. Check out the Fine Art Museum. There's a Frank Llyod Wright exhibit there now, along with lots of great Maine art. And of course, there's lots of little shops and boutiques in the Old Port to explore.

A daytrip to Boothbay Harbor could include a harbor cruise of some sort (there are zillions); a trip to the Maine Coastal Botanical Gardens where there is a nice restaurant and visitor center along with many easy trails through theme specific gardens; hike one or two of the trails at the Boothbay Region Land Trust properties and bring a picnic lunch with you or dine at one of the restaurants. Great places for take out or dining for lunch are the Blue Moon Cafe, Ebb Tide, the Lobster Dock, or Robinson's Wharf on Southport Island. All are very casual but have good food. And all are either directly on the water or in the Ebb Tide's case, have a peek at the water and the busy street below.

Good luck with your plans and don't forget to post back and let us know how things go :).

cozyharbor

I

Washington D.C.
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should hubby and I go for a romantic trip to Maine??

Check out my trip review down below! Our whole trip was romantic, but we especially loved Bar Harbor and our stay at the Manor House Inn. We had a huge 2 person jacuzzi, loved it!

4. Re: Where should hubby and I go for a romantic trip to Maine??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 23:20