We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from BH/Acadia

Michigan
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Back from BH/Acadia

Just got back from our week long trip to Acadia/Bh. It was great! Thank you to all the people that helped me gather info - you know who you are:)

I won't bore you all with the details but here are the highlites:

Eating: trenton lobster pound - excellent!, Geddes (twice) always a favorite, Rosalies Pizza(kid liked it, adults didn't), Poor Boy's gourmet - wonderful!!!, if you go out to Lubec area eat at Uncle Kippies, Havannas- hmmmm....I think it's a bit over-rated, it was definately gourmet food and fancy place, but not my thing, there is a deli on the corner by poor boys' - great food, price and service:), Jordans breakfast of course!, a small place between Trenton and Ellsworth (by airport) called Kathy's for breakfast was good (a bit slow, but homey and great food and cheap), Seafood Ketch in Bass Harbor always a farewell dinner tradition...dinner overlooking the water and sunset and small fishing village.

Hiking: Took it easy and did Seawall, Wonderland, and Jordan Pond. use bathroom at Seawall since none at Wonderland:) They are right by each other. Nice picnic options at Seawall. Jordan Pond was about 3 miles around "pond". Cool in the sense that there are different types of trail on it. Gravel, to climbing over flat boulders, to walking a wooden plank. It's satisfying.

Kayaking: Coastal Kayaking Harbor tour with mark was super!!!! Lucked out and it was just our group of 5 and him:)

Sailing: Best part of whole trip. You gotta go with Karl Brunner on the friendship sloop (original lobster boat). Sails out of NE Harbor and SW harbor. You can charter your own with him, join others, or he has water taxi service to Cranberry islands. sailacadia.com Downeast Friendship Sloop Charters

Misc: carriage ride to Jordan Pond for tea. Nice. About 1/2 hr ride there, 45 mins tea, 1/2 hr back. A nice taste of the roads adn seeing the house. Lumberjack show - very fun! All ages! 2 hr drive to Lubec to see lighthouse, and over to Campobello Island to see FDR cottages - cool to see this area, very different than BH. Good hiking both locations. Gilley Bird Museum, Oceanarium - good on rain day. Reel Pizza and Movie - good on rain night:)

I'm happy to elaborate for anyone who wants more details. I feel we did the town justice!!! My only regret was that I missed my dinner at Maggies! Next time.....

Winter Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from BH/Acadia

I love reading trip reports, so thank you!

We too like Poor Boy's in Bar Harbor. We went there for dinner after meeting the owner at the pier in Seal Harbor as she was waiting for a fishing boat to come in with that night's special. Great value in early bird dinners, too.

Our favorite Bar Harbor restaurant is Galyn's Galley. We wait as long as it takes to get a table on the porch.

Our favorite lobster pound is Downeast, before the Trenton bridge pound when you're headed toward Bar Harbor on Rt. 3. There's no view, but the value is great and the food is terrific.

Next year, plan to spend time on the Schoodic Peninsula! Try chef owned Fisherman's Inn across from the harbor - Henry Cove - in Winter Harbor. The chef is co-owner of Grindstone Neck of Maine Gourmet Smoked Seafood. Their store is on Rt. 186 before you reach Winter Harbor village.

JM Gerrish Gourmet Cafe (turn right at the harbor when you arrive in Winter Harbor) has a Cordon Bleu trained pastry chef - Susan. So, don't miss out on her treats, or their special sandwiches, salads, ice cream, cold drinks, coffees...order to take out and enjoy an oceanside picnic at Frazer Point or Schoodic Point in Acadia National Park Schoodic Point section - entrance less than 2 miles back past the harbor.

If you are traveling up the coast on Rt. 1 in Sullivan, here's a tip: Look for Tracey's Seafood/Lobsers on the right, very close to the road. It has an ice cream & takeout window and a dining room for eating in. Try their clam chowder, actually any of their chowders! Try their captain's platter if you are very hungry or have two or 4 people to share it with.

Ah, you missed something special when you passed up the Schoodic Peninsula on your way from Mt. Desert to Campobello and Lubec, but we'll look for you next year. ;o).

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from BH/Acadia

Thanks for reporting back.

The deli you mentioned must be Adelmann's.

I agree that next time, you should spend some time on Schoodic.

Michigan
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from BH/Acadia

Yep, that was the deli name:)

And thanks for all the info about Schoodic. Definately next time! My wish is to come for amonth next time, so there is time for all these new things. I had seen info on that smokehouse and wanted to stop by, but we were too early coming adn too late going back. I forgot to mention that we did stop at Jasper Beach for lunch picnic:)

Thansk!

Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from BH/Acadia

Hello, By your usercode, I can tell you are from Michigan...well we are from Michigan too and planning a similar vacation for 2008. If you don't mind, I have a few questions.

1. What is the best route out there?

2. Did you do the puffin tour and was it worth it?

3. Did you do a whale tour and if so, which one?

4. We are staying in Jonesport. Any hints for There?

Thanks, Nipsy

5. Re: Back from BH/Acadia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 21:17