We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maine Newbie

New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Maine Newbie

Having never been to Maine, I was wondering if somebody could give us some advice on a particular area to enjoy during our Fall Foliage adventure this fall.

We will be starting Off in Stowe VT to celebrate a birthday, and then heading to Maine for 4 days before returning BACK to Stowe, VT for a wedding.

Driving distance can be taken into consideration when responding, but I kind of had my Heart set on the coast, near Kennebunkport, Kittery, Portland, etc. Mainly (no pun intended!) because that area is the only one I know of. I am doing some research now and all the areas look so attractive but I keep coming back to the lower coast. Perhaps this is the area to stay in and then maybe take a drive for hiking, etc?

Anyhow, we love exploring quaint towns (touring), restaurants, canoeing, hiking, and more. We absolutely love Newport RI, All of Cape Cod, and even inland gems such as Stowe Vermont. Also, we love nice country Inns or B&Bs that are not too in-your-face if you know what I mean - any advice there would be wonderful as well....

I hope I have given a sense of what we are looking for during our initial stay in Maine! Any and all input would be very much appreciated!

The Maine Brew Bus
Distillery Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Portland Fire Engine Co
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Level Contributor
277 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maine Newbie

If is it foliage you desire, the coast will not be your best bet. That being said; I suggest this route as a good combo which is easy to follow. From Montpelier, VT, pick up US Route 2 east though New Hampshire into Maine. Pick up Route 26 around Bethel, Maine and take that south to Portland. Jump on Route 1 south, as far as you want to go, to I-95 S, I-93 N, to I-89 N back to Stowe.

There of course many variations depending on how adventurous you are.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maine Newbie

What dates are you considering? The whole state does not turn at the same time, so I'd tend to send you where the leaves are most likely to be brilliant.

3. Re: Maine Newbie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 22:16