We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reality Check-Room Availability

lexington
Level Contributor
220 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Reality Check-Room Availability

My wife and I just began looking at a trip to Maine and New Hampshire for our anniversary in June '08. We have looked at Boothbay and Bar Harbor in Maine, and the Mount Washington area in New Hampshire. We're ten months out, and finding through most internet sources that almost everything is booked. Perhaps I am a naive mason-dixoner, but I find that hard to believe. Are things really that tight, or am I actually looking so far in advance that I am beyond that advance booking capability of individual hotels and internet booking sites? Any help?

Winter Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reality Check-Room Availability

I'm guessing the latter - that online booking calendars just aren't yet operational for 2008. Things would not be that tight at this point..

Good luck with your plans, and do post your questions here so we can help you make the anniversary trip extra special.

K.

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reality Check-Room Availability

I agree - I'm sure it's just that it's too far out for the online booking. If a property appeals to you, I'd give them a call. June is just before the highest season, so while there's bound to be availability, you won't want to wait 'til spring to make reservations at a place you'd really like to stay.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reality Check-Room Availability

I can't speak for all establishments/associations, but I just checked the Bar Harbor B&B Association website:

<www.sleepbarharbor.com>;

it doesn't have <any> information on 2008 availability. Moreover, I wouldn't expect them to be showing any until the 2007 season closes down--in November, perhaps.

If you know a place or two at which you really want to stay, try contacting them through their website. If they aren't in a position to book you now, they will be able to tell you when you can.

I agree with Maine-ah that (at least for the Bar Harbor area), June bookings should not be a problem, with the caveat that the closer you get to July, the more things begin to fill up.

lexington
Level Contributor
220 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reality Check-Room Availability

Thanks, all. I figured it was probably due to the length of time before hand, but wanted to check so that we were not wasting our time. Our planning is in its infancy, but it looks like we have plenty of time.

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reality Check-Room Availability

Yeah you are too early. While it is certainly possible that certain towns or areas may fill up very early for special occasion weekend way in advance most likely it is just because you are too early. Most places will take your reservation by phone but the online sites will not. I am trying to plan a July 08 trip to Boston and having the same issue.

6. Re: Reality Check-Room Availability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 11:24