We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Harbor/Schoodic

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Harbor/Schoodic

Hello All,

I was wondering if any of the experts or locals in the area of Bar Harbor and Winter Harbor/Schoodic peninsual could recommend accomodations either directly in Winter Harbor or within about a 20 to 25 minute drive of the area.

I checked this site and googled tons of stuff and only come up with a couple of little motels which don't have great websites, so I can't tell if they are holes in the wall or not and one B&B.

I ask as I'm planning a short stay in the area for September and really want to stay on the peninsual or someplace nice, quiet, and scenic and not in the heart of Bar Harbor or Ellsworth.

But I also would like a place that offers cable tv and internet service. Not askin too much,huh, lol?

Meanwhile, I'll continue to do more internet research, dig out some of my old Maine guides and see what I can come up with.

Thanks everyone :).

cozyharbor

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
446 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Harbor/Schoodic

cozyharbor, Try the Mermaid Purse Farm B & B, it is on the outer harbor in Prospect Harbor. I stayed there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, The hosts are very interesting to talk with, especially Penny.

Leverett, MA
Level Contributor
2 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Harbor/Schoodic

Dear cozyharbor -

In a search for a small inn (December 2007) to host a group of five couples (63-75 in age) who travel together for a week in August, I explored the Prospect Harbor area. It was my turn to pick the inn. I wanted to stay at an inn I had as a target for our August 2007 trip. Oceanside Meadows was a target but was closed - but by phone the owner suggested Elsa's Inn for the December visit. So, there I stayed. I also looked into Oceanside Meadows from the windows (with permission) and visited the Mermainds Purse. Oceanside Meadows looks very nice, but is comprised of two major buildings and a meeting center. So, it has a substantial number of rooms. It is in a beautiful spot. But, no contest from my perspective. Elsa's Inn, which I had not previously known about, (and thank Ocean Meadows for letting me know) was just great. It is a nice combination of reasonable cost, unpretentious down-east reality, clean and very comfortable rooms, friendly hosts (Megan and her mom Cindy run the inn), and great home cooked breakfasts with cold home-made cereal also available. Six rooms, one handicapped accessible. The rooms are not huge, but they are completely adequate - I carry a lot of photography gear and had no problem with space. The hosts live off site. Cindy and her daughter know all about the area and Cindy's husband grew up in the house, which has been completely modernized. A great place to stay. Our group rented the inn for five nights in late August 2007 and were delghted. I do not know about dogs, but Cindy has a great one and so you will be dealing with someone who knows about what a dog can mean. Look no further. This is a fine place. There is a web page - just google Elsa's and you will find it. Send them an e-mail and Megan (who has lots of experience with hotels, and fancy Inns in larger establishments and returned to Maine to raise her family) will respond within a day.

Bob

Leverett, MA
Level Contributor
2 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Harbor/Schoodic

PS: My search was December 2006 for the August 2007 five-night vist to Elsa's Inn. Sorry for the typo in the original post.

Winter Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Harbor/Schoodic

Hi,

I hope it's okay to suggest that people consider renting from owners. I do not have a vested interest as my Winter Harbor rental property is already booked for much of September, so I'm not advertising in response to this post. But since my husband and I discovered the value and comfort of renting homes from owners, we are not happy in the confines of motels.

Often for less than the cost of a motel room, you can often have a whole home for your use.

There are a number of web sites that list vacation rentals by owners, and there are some great options on the Schoodic Peninsula.

Again, I hope this suggestion is viewed as I mean it to be: helpful and not advertising!

Kathleen

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter Harbor/Schoodic

Hello All,

Before I even read the replies here, I discovered Elsa's after searching online and booked a few nights there for next week. I liked the location, that it seemed to be a bit upscale, offered a nice breakfast and had private baths and tv's in all the rooms. Plus it's right on the peninsual where I can hop quickly to the nat'l park area and take lots of photos either early in the morning or late afternoon when the light is best.

Now I just need some decent weather! Have been checking it daily and the forecast keeps changing daily from all rain the entire time I there; to partly sunny; partly cloudy; thunderstorms; and occasional showers! As long as it doesn't rain non-stop for 3 days, I'll be fine. Don't mind overcast or off/on showers if the sun comes now and again. Of course, I'd love crystal clear, sunny days the entire time, but hey, can't have everything.

I'll be sure to post back after the trip and let everyone know how it went :).

cozyharbor

P.S. Thanks to those who responded; especially the poster who mentioned Elsa's. Glad to have my choice validated by someone who has recently been there!

6. Re: Winter Harbor/Schoodic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 05:26