We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for suggestions family with kids

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
36 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for suggestions family with kids

Hi. I have been reading through a lot fo the old posts and wanted to see if anyone had a good suggestion for an area for my family. We are looking to take a weeklong trip next summer to Maine with our kids (8 and 2). We would like a beach vacation, prefer the ocean but want somewhere that is not a beach crowded with lots of people. We can get that back home on Long Island. We would like to stay somwhere where we can really enjoy Maine, we are not interested in shopping or even fancy restaurants-real local kind of places would be great. We plan on diriving to get there but would rather dirve further to get away form it all a little more than be right in the thick of things during the busiest travel season. Is that possible? In terms of accomodations our preference would be a cottage/family home type thing, beachfront would be ideal. We would prefer not to be in a hotel with lots of stories/people for the trip. This is a retreat type vacation for us.

My husband and older son like to fish (if we were at a place they could surf cast I think my husband would be thrilled) or climb rocks. I prefer relaxing on a deck looking out at the water or sitting at a beach playing in the sand with my little guy.

I hope all this info is helpful. I don't know much about Maine but my husband has always wanted to go. Living on Long Island we go to the beach often but want a more authentic Maine vacation than a book it through your travel agent and stay at a beautiful hotel on the beach experience. Hope that makes sense. I appreciate anyone's advice on where I might try or where I might get more information to figure it out for myself. Thanks so much!!

Amy

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for suggestions family with kids

I would recommend you look at cottageconnection.com. They have a wide variety of rentals in the mid-coast area. I see some that fit your bill, but you could e-mail or call them to narrow it down. We were in the Boothbay/East Boothbay/Southport area last weekend and saw a few of their cottages. They looked very nice and well-kept. Some were secluded, and some more in the mainstream. Their listings included some with private beaches.

Another spot in Maine with a nice, not-overcrowded beach, rocks and surf casting is Biddeford Pool. There are rentals there as well, but not through one agency. I'm guessing if you Googled that area, you'd find what you want.

West Lawn...
Level Contributor
160 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for suggestions family with kids

Two years ago we stayed in the Penobscot bay area near Castine. We found the cottage on Cyberrentals.com. This year we stayed in Millbridge which is about 45 mins north of Bar Harbor. We found that cottage on VRBO. com. I think your best bet is to check one of those sites. Both places were very secluded, more so for Millbridge, but we absolutely love the solitude! Of course a lot depends on your budget. Both of our rentals were around $1000 for the week. You could probably find something secluded south of Portland but you would have to probably pay more. After staying in Maine for the past few years I dont think we could ever go back to a "normal" beach vacation with boardwalks, crowds, etc. Good Luck!

west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for suggestions family with kids

Ocean Park is nice. Although it is only a couple of miles from the craziness of Old Orchard Beach, it is a world away. Especially if you can go maybe late June before the crowds invade Maine.

there is not much in Ocean Park. You have to leave the area to find restaurants and shops, other than a mini-grocery, a soda shoppe and a gift shop. Casual restaurants are a couple of miles away.

Nice day trips would be down to Kennebunkport or to Cape Porpoise Lobster Wharf, into the city of Portland if you get a rainy day, or off to Sebago Lakes area for some fishing. All of this is within 30-40 min drive.

We stayed here: www.billowhouse.com

4. Re: Looking for suggestions family with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 10:18