We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doughnut In Maine - Please Help Me Find

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Doughnut In Maine - Please Help Me Find

I'll be in various parts of Maine (landing in Portland, quick drive to Freeport, on to Camden, then to Greenville, back to Portland).

I love locally owned doughnut shops OR bakeries that make good doughnuts. Not Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme! I'm looking for shops with doughnuts that are special to the area. Any thoughts where I can find some good doughnuts?

Thanks!

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Doughnut In Maine - Please Help Me Find

Moody's Diner, a classic institution on Route 1 in Waldoboro, makes all its own baked goods, including wonderful pies and doughnuts. Assuming you plan to drive Route 1 from Brunswick (just north of Freeport) to Camden, you will go right by Moody's and I would recommend you stop in for a meal.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doughnut In Maine - Please Help Me Find

Well, you'd have to take a little detour south for this, but:

Reilley's Bakery on Main Street in Biddeford. Try the maple cream.

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Doughnut In Maine - Please Help Me Find

Some of the Apple Orchards offer homemade apple donuts/crullers. I know that Lakeside Orchards in Manchester offers them.

Michigan
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doughnut In Maine - Please Help Me Find

I'm probably going to slaughter the name, but there's some place in Wells area that has been making donuts for over 50 yrs and it's a must in most travel books. We stumbled on it as we were in Wells to catch a movie (waiting for our Band B in Kennebunk). I grabbed my Fodor's book and looked for an eatery and at the same time I saw it in print, I saw it on the road - it's like Cogdan donuts. REALLY good breakfast and bakery. Sit down or carry out.

Enjoy!!!

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Doughnut In Maine - Please Help Me Find

Would you happen to be driving from Freeport to Camden on a weekend? If so, you could stop at the Montsweag Flea Market, which is on Route 1 in Woolwich, just before the Wiscasset town line. (Woolwich is immediately over the bridge from Bath.) My neighbor, Mrs. Dow, sells her own baked goods at a table at the flea market every weekend, including doughnuts she makes each morning. The flea market opens at 9am and the doughnuts go fast.

Farmers' markets are also often a good place for freshly made baked goods, sometimes including doughnuts. If you want to post your dates, I can re-post with information about farmers' markets in the area. Or you could check yourself at www.getrealmaine.com/buy/farmers_markets.html

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doughnut In Maine - Please Help Me Find

Downeast - we'll be landing at Portland Sept 29, late, and staying the night. We will head off for Camden on Sunday, Sept 30.

Any thoughts about doughnuts that day?

Can you think of other doughnut type places?

Wabash, Indiana
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doughnut In Maine - Please Help Me Find

That name in Wells is:

Congdon's Doughnuts Family Restaurant

1090 Post Rd.

Wells, Maine. 04090

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Doughnut In Maine - Please Help Me Find

OK, thanks for the update. The only place I can think of on your route for homemade doughnuts on a Sunday morning will be Mrs. Dow at the Montsweag Flea Market----if she's not sold out by the time you get there---and Moody's Diner. Moody's usually makes loads of doughnuts, so there's a good chance of getting some even if you don't get there until fairly late.

Two very popular places in Portland for breakfast are Becky's Diner on the water and Marcy's Diner, but I'm pretty sure they don't do homemade doughnuts.

If you could go for homemade pecan sticky buns, you could stop in at Mae's Bakery and Cafe on Centre Street (across from the Sagadahoc County courthouse) in Bath.

It's good that you posted well in advance. There's a good chance others will make some suggestions.

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Doughnut In Maine - Please Help Me Find

Thompson's restaurant on 201 in Bingham is famous for their homemade doughnuts. If you're a fiend for doughnuts you won't find it too far a drive from Greenville. I would think there are places in Greenville as well, but I don't know the place well enough.

If your route north takes you through Bangor, you might try Dysart's truckstop on Route 95. I don't know if they have homemade doughnuts, but they might because they do bake their own breads.

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Doughnut In Maine - Please Help Me Find

Thanks for the lead about the place in Bingham! I've taken the Maine map and plotted out a few potential routes to take (mainly to see foliage) and one drive takes us right through Bingham.

I'm also enjoying these other suggestions for baked goods. Here's our typical driving style...we like to stop someplace mid-morning for coffee + treat and then again mid-afternoon for coffee + treat. I appreciate all these "treat" ideas (like cinnamon buns!). Thanks.