We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North of Bar Harbor; along the coast

Edmonton, Alberta
3 posts
Save Topic
North of Bar Harbor; along the coast

Here is the scenario. My wife & I will be experiencing an East Coast whirlwind trip. We will be leaving Boston on September 28 & plan to stop overnight north of Bar Harbor then check out the area until early afternoon - the question is where???

We are looking for unique things to see & do relating to local culture, entertainment & foods. An example might be a clambake on the beach, a fishing village with great seafood, or something similar to that… We are not looking to sit in a bar but if there is some local music (not too loud) that is worth checking out…

We do not need a five star hotel; any place that has a good bed & a private bathroom in a safe neighbourhood more than meets our needs. In fact, I would prefer a small room overlooking the docks (that has seals) much more than a classy hotel.

(Don’t worry about the driving time as I made it from Windsor, Ontario to Arkansas in one day a few years ago.)

Thank you in advance…

Winter Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North of Bar Harbor; along the coast

I recommend the Schoodic Peninsula and Winter Harbor, just 7 miles off Rt. 1 (turn right onto Rt. 186 and keep going until you come to the ocean harbor). (See below for a cottage on the water.)

That puts you about an hour beyond Bar Harbor and there is the Schoodic section of Acadia National Park to explore in addition to Winter Harbor village. If you are there on the last Friday of the month, you can attend the 7 pm Last Friday Coffeehouse, a music program at Hammond Hall. (Turn right at the harbor. Go up the hill, about 2/5 mile) They also sell the best homemade desserts, coffee. Just check for a poster in the window at the IGA market or ask inside. (See below for more info about the Sept. 28 show .)

To be right on the water, try

Main Stay Cottages (right ON the harbor, Sargent St. (In Winter Harbor, facing the harbor, turn left. About 2/10 mile turn right onto Sargent St.)

Roger & Pearl Barto

Tel.(207) 963-2601 or 5561

Email: boathouse@acadia.net

Web: www.awa-web.com/stayinn

September 28, 2007 - The Katahdin Valley Boys

Formed in 1998, KVB plays hard-driving traditional acoustic Bluegrass. Every member (5) brings many years of experience and professional showmanship to the band's performances, with everyone sharing lead and harmony vocals. Their repertoire features close harmonies, smooth solos, and on-stage spontaneity. A fun bunch, for sure! See www.katahdinvalleyboys.com

SUGGESTED DONATION $10

Edmonton, Alberta
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: North of Bar Harbor; along the coast

WinterHarborHouse wrote:

I recommend the Schoodic Peninsula and Winter Harbor, just 7 miles off Rt. 1 (turn right onto Rt. 186 and keep going until you come to the ocean harbor).

Thank you...

I have emailed the owners of the cottages (you suggested) to check availability - the Boathouse at the edge of the water is exactly what I am looking for...

And I notice you live in Winter Harbor - maybe you could join us at the Last Friday Coffeehouse........ :-)

Winter Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North of Bar Harbor; along the coast

Hi,

I hope that you're able to get the little cottage you want.

I don't actually live in Winter Harbor, we own a vacation rental property within a stroll of the harbor (but since we hope to be there on the 28th to do some maintenance, it isn't available for rental on that date).

So, perhaps we could meet up at the coffeehouse if our plans work out to be there then. You can reach me by email using my winterharborhouse name adding @yahoo.com. Put Winter Harbor in the subject line so I'll know it's you.

Kathleen

Bangor
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: North of Bar Harbor; along the coast

I am from Maine and we stayed at The Open Hearth Inn in Trenton...it's near Bar Harbor but it's not on the water. The host and hostess are wonderful and the breakfast they served was very nice. We had a bedroom and living area with tv and small refrigerator.

Check them out on the web!

5. Re: North of Bar Harbor; along the coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 00:18