We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freeport 2 nights late October. Where to visit in vicinity?

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Freeport 2 nights late October. Where to visit in vicinity?

We are flying to Boston: 2 nights Peabody, Mass, 2 nights Freeport , Maine then back to Boston for 2 nights before we fly back to UK.

We visited Freeport, years ago, and thought it would be a good base for our visit to Southern Maine. (Last time we went up to Acadia) Can anyone recommend good places to visit beyond Freeport please? We love lobster - recommendations for good restaurants welcomed.

Thanks in anticipation.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Freeport 2 nights late October. Where to visit in vicinity?

There's outlet shopping in Freeport, as you probably know. Besides lobster, what else do you like? If you haven't been to Portland, I'd recommend checking it out. A good variety of rainy day/sunny day activities. You could also check out the midcoast area - Damariscotta, Wiscasset, etc. Plenty of lobster options in that direction!

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Freeport 2 nights late October. Where to visit in vicinity?

We like scenery and quaint towns. Thanks - any specific suggestions for Portland?

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Freeport 2 nights late October. Where to visit in vicinity?

If you go to the side of this page and choose "Maine Attractions" and then "Portland Attractions," you'll pretty much get what I would suggest in order. If it's a nice day and you want to get out on the bay, try Casco Bay Lines, the mailboat run. There are also shorter runs. You'll get to see the shore and islands and meet the locals. The Old Port is the "quaint" shopping/restaurant section of Portland. Fun to poke around in.

Damariscotta and Wiscasset will also fill the bill for quaint towns and good scenery. Wiscasset has loads of antique shops if you like those, and Damariscotta has a wide variety of shopping experiences, plus some good restaurants. If you head down the peninsula from there, you can go to Pemaquid Lighthouse and the old fort. There are several fishermen's co-ops in that area, where you could get fresh lobster.

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Freeport 2 nights late October. Where to visit in vicinity?

For visitors to Freeport, I always recommend a trip out to Wolfe's Neck State Park. A 10-15 min. drive from downtown...hiking trails through woods along Casco Bay. Picnic areas are available too. The hiking is nothing strenuous...and a nice break from outlet shopping.

west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Freeport 2 nights late October. Where to visit in vicinity?

When are you going? I would suggest a drive out to the Lobster Shack at Two Lights State Park in Cape Elizabeth............but lots of shacks close up in October.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Freeport 2 nights late October. Where to visit in vicinity?

Check out: pressherald.mainetoday.com

Lots of links to check out. (It's sponsored by the Portland paper.)

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Freeport 2 nights late October. Where to visit in vicinity?

You have given me some great suggestions. I will follow up on them all and work out an itinery. We are going late October and are looking forward greatly to our visit.

Thanks everyone. :)

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Freeport 2 nights late October. Where to visit in vicinity?

Apologies - itinerary

9. Re: Freeport 2 nights late October. Where to visit in vicinity?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 02:17