We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to White Mountains

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to White Mountains

We will be driving from Portland to the White Mountains on October 7. Considering the traffic this time of year does anyone have a clue how long it will take? We are staying in Twin Mountain. Since we are not familiar with the area I didn't know if the roads are bumper to bumper this time of year or not. Can we trust mapquest timewise or should we allow extra time for heavy traffic?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive to White Mountains

I've made this drive from Conway in summer but I would guess you need to plan 2 - 3 hours Most of the drive is on 2 lane roads (similar to Farm Roads in TX) but they shouldn't be key leaf watching routes. During the week is best as tourists will flock north on Friday and south on Sunday.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive to White Mountains

Good thing you asked. October the 7th is the closing day of the Fryburg Fair, see http://www.fryeburgfair.com/ and you really want to do whatever you can to avoid that traffic. Which means NOT going the route that Mapquest gives you. (Unless of course you actually are planning to go to the fair.)

Traffic on 302 thru Fryeburg on fair days is a nightmare; the traffic going to the fair stops and the road is like a parking lot for at least a mile on either side of town. It could add an hour or more to your drive. So, definitely do not go Route 302 thru Fryeburg.

You could go south of the recommended route, taking 25 thru Kezar Falls, but if you have time, I'd say go north of Fryeburg. Around October 7th the leaves in the Western Mtns should be gorgeous. So, I'd say if you have the time, take the Maine Turnpike north from Portland (I-95) and get off at Route 26 (the Gray exit).

You'll go thru Gray, and then New Gloucester. Just a block off 26 in New Gloucester is the Sabathday Lake Shaker Village. Even if you can't stop, at least drive by. It's the only remaining (active) Shaker community in the US and the buildings are lovely architecture.

Continuing north you'll pass thru a series of pretty little Maine towns.

Take 26 all the way to US Route 2 in the Bethel area. Route 2 (west) wll take you over to Gorham New Hampshire where you can enter Twin Mtn from the north. On this road near the Maine/NH border, Mt Washginton will all of a sudden come into the view.

If you can spend some time in the Bethel area, there are several lovely sites. The Sunday River covered bridge is arguably the prettiest covered bridge in Maine. Grafton Notch State Park just a few miles north of Bethel is lovely. If you have the time, take a small detour to see both.

Have a great trip. Your timing is good. You should see some awesome color.

Whitefield, New...
Level Contributor
153 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive to White Mountains

Great suggestion Michele - I live near Twin Mt. and travel to Portland frequenly via Rte. 302, normally 2.5 hours but with the "fayah" it will likely be closer to 4.

Will keep your route in mind myself for a future visit to Maine!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive to White Mountains

Thank you Thank you Thank you!! I'm glad I asked because that was the route we would have taken. I will have to print this out to take with us..

This is why I love TripAdvisor! We really appreciate the info because we were not planning on attending the fair. You just saved us alot of frustration!

5. Re: Drive to White Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 20:19