We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photo trip in Maine

California
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Photo trip in Maine

I will be flying in to Logan on 10/8. My plan is to spend a couple of days in Boston, then rent a car and drive up to Bar Harbor, where I will spend the next week with a photo workshop group. I was considering driving up to Lubec( I would love to see the Quoddy light) but it seems like quite a long drive and I'm not seeing much of interest mentioned north of Bar Harbor. On the other hand, it seems that one could easily spend several weeks between Boston and Bar Harbor! I've got so much info just from reading other posts! So, is it worthwhile to drive all the way to Lubec for one night? Any recommendations for lodging between there and Bar Harbor? It looks pretty sparse.

Winter Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photo trip in Maine

Several years ago we did a day trip from Bar Harbor to Lubec for lunch and to see the Quoddy Head Lighthouse, and went to Campobello Island to see the FDR summer home. So overnight in Lubec would be a good option, giving you time to see the area then drive back to Bar Harbor.

I don't have information about lodgings in the Lubec area, but I'm sure someone here can offer advice.

I invite you to detour the 7 miles to Winter Harbor and the beautiful Schoodic Point section of Acadia National Park . (You'll see signs directing you to Winter Harbor about 40 minutes after leaving Bar Harbor.) The Schoodic loop is a photographer's dream.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,846 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photo trip in Maine

Lubec (and the drive there) is worth the time, as is the Schoodic peninsula. There are two Quoddy lights---both very nice.

Check out the Lubec forum regarding lodging possibilities.

California
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photo trip in Maine

Thanks so much. I'm not sure what I will do yet, but the input helps. The photo group I will be with for a week in Bar Harbor will be spending lots of time in Acadia, so I can't imagine Schoodic point wouldn't be part of the itinerary. The leader is very familiar with the area, having led many photo trips there in the past. This forum is just fantastic! I'm so glad I've found it-- what a wealth of information!

west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photo trip in Maine

If I were a photographer and I was going to make a 3 hour drive from Bar Harbor, it would be to the Moosehead Lake area.

http://www.vex.net/~jp/newengland/mooseh04.jpg

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photo trip in Maine

If you go to Quoddy Head / Campobello, look into the tides as the EAST Quoddy Head light is accessible only at low tide. So, that's probably when you want to time your visit.

You didn't say exactly which days are your free days to go driving, but if I had a camera and some free days in Maine, I'd go where the leaves are most likely to be at peak. :)

Being nosey here: who is leading your seminar? I hear some world class photogs are often at Acadia for such tours.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,545 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photo trip in Maine

The Peacock House is a very comfortable Bed and Breakfast in Lubec, Maine. I recommend it.

CAMPOBELLO ISLAND...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Photo trip in Maine

Campobello Island also offers accommodations and spectacular scenery. Many photographers come here annually because of the beautiful vistas.

Go to the Campobello Island Official Web Site

Hit MORE tab up top left hand side to access all categories and click on STAY AT

http://wwww.campobelloislandtourism.com

Campobello offers

The Roosevelt Campobello International Park and FDR'SUMMER HOME MUSEUM

Golf course

hiking trails

Camping RV and tenting as well as canvas topped tents

Craft & Gift Shops

Motels, Lodge, Inns,Bed and Breakfasts, Cottages, Chalets,

Bird watching,

Scenic Drives,

Picnic areas

Aquaculture farms

Two Wharfs

Two Lighthouses - Mullholland and East Quoddy Lighthouse

See the highest tides in the world

Spectacular sunsets

Whale watch and fishing tours available

Ferry Services to Deer Island, Eastport, and the mainland of New Brunswick

Beautiful beaches - wildlife - seabirds

Flora and fauna not found anywhere else in the International Park.

Accommodations include:

An Island Chalet(s)5 Chalets- Enjoy your own fully equipped oceanfront chalet with private verandas. Breathtaking views - eagles - sunsets.

Tel:506-752-2971

Brown's Waterfront Cottage - Cottage has a wonderful view of the ocean. See whales and bald eagles from the porch. Waterfront. Tel: 506-752-2300

Campobello Whale Watch Motel - Across from Herring Cove Provincial Park & Golf Course. Close to services and attractions. Tel: 506-752-2008

Friar's Bay Motor Lodge - 12 waterfront rooms with views, cable tv, pets weclome. Two beachfront housekeeping units. Best rates on island. Tel: 506-752-2056

HarborDrifter B&B - Enjoy clean and secure accommodations on the ocean. Wonderful down home hospitality ( Gary Cook Campobello's stellar musician and his wife) with full breakfasts. Wonderful place to stay. Tel: 506-752-2913

Lupine Lodge - Historic 1915 building with massive fireplaces. Offering breakfast,lunch and dinner in their excellent dining room. Comfortable guest rooms. Dining Room open to public.

Tel: 506-752-25555

Owen House Country Inn & Gallery - Historic Waterfront Inn on Passamaquoddy Bay. Large rooms, beautifully appointed, excellent breakfasts/ Art gallery. (Artist Joyce Morrell)

Tel: 506-752-2977

Pollock Cove Cottages - Ten waterfront cottages with spectacular views. Fully equipped and close to East Quoddy Lighthouse. Tel: 506-752-2300

INFORMATION - 1-506-752-7043 (May - Oct)

A place where your dreams become beautiful memories!

8. Re: Photo trip in Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 09:29