We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Suggestions for Day Trips from Ogunquit

Springfield...
3 posts
Save Topic
Need Suggestions for Day Trips from Ogunquit

My wife and I will be flying into Boston (from Missouri) on Wednesday, Oct. 10th and staying at the Yardarm Village Inn in Ogunquit ME through Oct. 17th. We would like explore the coast region and also drive over into the White Mountains in NH. We want to see and do much as possible, but want to be back at the Yardarm each night. We love to hike, and are looking forward to getting off the "beaten path." We also love little "hole in the wall" places to sit and relax while we enjoy good food and maybe some live music (blues???). I would love to WOW her with an itinerary that has it all! Oh, and I would really like some good information on whale watching too. Can anyone offer some suggestions for some memorable day trips?

California
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Suggestions for Day Trips from Ogunquit

The Sebago Lake area is beautiful, and we like to hike Mt. Major near Alton Bay in New Hampshire.

If it were me I would do maybe 4 nights in Ogunquit and then 3 nights in New Hampshire instead of a day trip to White Mtns with return to Ogunquit etc.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Suggestions for Day Trips from Ogunquit

There is absolutely fabulous hiking in the White Mountains, as I am sure you know. This, however, is going to be a longish day trip from Ogunquit. It's about a 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive from Portland to the Whites (or more----the White Mountains are a big area, so it depends on where you want to go), and so I'd say it's at least that much time from Ogunquit and likely a bit more. Combined with hiking up there, it will be a long day so get up early! There are a few truly short hikes (a mile and a half around a lake kind of thing). The Appalachian Mountain Club website (www.outdoors.org) can help with this---or stop in at their visitors' center at Pinkham Notch.

Portland is about 40 minutes from Ogunquit and will fill your need for great restaurants, good food, live music, etc. You can easily spend a day or more. I always like to suggest taking one of the Casco Bay Lines ferries out to one of the islands. This is the commuter ferry. You can take the mailboat run, which stops at all the islands; or just take one of the more frequent ferries out to Peaks Island (a 20-minute ride) and bring a picnic and bottle of wine to enjoy while sitting on the rocks (bundle up! If it's too cold a day, just take a long walk around the island and stop in afterwards at the Cockeyed Gull for a brew and a snack).

You might also consider Chebeague Island, which has bicycles for rent.

Another way to get out on the water is by kayak. Maine Island Kayak is on Peaks Island and offers rentals, trips, instruction. Maine Kayak has several bases around the state (including Portland) and also offers lake and river kayaks. Rings Marine in Freeeport also has rentals.

Ask at your hotel about whale watching trips. I know there are many around the state; I know of one or two in Portland but I think there is at least one that is closer to Ogunquit....and I know there is at least one in Portsmouth, N.H. Caveat: You are arriving just at the time of year when many of these stop going out for the winter. I'm a sailor so can tell you----it can be very cold on the sea in Maine in October! (Or not---I was out today and it was gorgeous. But you are truly pressing towards the end of the on-the-sea season). Another reason perhaps to take the commuter ferry out the the islands and walk-----you can stay on the outside decks, but inside it's roasty-toasty.

In Portland, for a "hole in the wall" lunch, go down the Custom House Wharf (looks creepy, but it's perfectly safe) and try the Porthole Restaurant.

There are some breathtaking walks all around Portland and the coast. I am sure while in Ogunquit you will do the quick mile of the Marginal Way (with a hundred of your closest friends), but for a better cliff-walk experience try Prout's Neck in Scarborough. This is about 40 minutes from Ogunquit. To get there, go to Scarborough Beach State Park. The parking will likely be closed, but park on the street and walk in. Once on the (beautiful) beach, take a right and walk until the beach ends. At the end of the beach, scramble up the rocks and take a left (there is a little stone building there) and you wil find the path. It's gorgeous, and little-used.

Really, there are just so many things to do. I hope you two have a wonderful, wonderful vacation.

Springfield...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Suggestions for Day Trips from Ogunquit

Thanks for the great ideas! I especially like the sound of the Scarborough Beach area. That is exactly what we were looking for. Unfortunately, our plans aren't flexible enough to spend more than a day at a time in NH, but we don't mind getting up early, and I'm sure the scenery will be great along the way. I've read a lot about the Kancamagus Hwy. between Conway and Lincoln and I liked the sound of the lower falls, boulder loop trail, falls pond and rocky gorge. But am I in for a "bumper to bumper" parking lot on 112? We've also heard a lot about Red's in Wicasset....We planned on going through Freeport and maybe checking out the Booth Bay area while we are there. How long would it take to go on up to Acadia? I never really trust the Mapquest time estimates.

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Suggestions for Day Trips from Ogunquit

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Red's Eats is closed for the season after this weekend.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Suggestions for Day Trips from Ogunquit

Kancamagus is beautiful. I'd suggest doing your N.H. trip on a weekday, which will avoid the worst of the traffic. They said on the news last night that this weekend (Columbus Day) is the second busiest tourist weekend in Maine---however the foliage is a bit late this year, which may mean it will be busier later. Hard to say. But if you go on a weekday you should be fine.

Freeport is good for outlet shopping and of course the iconic L.L. Bean. Boothbay would make a good day trip. It has a slightly honky-tonk vibe, but it has some good restaurants. In the summer there are boat tours for nature-watching (whale watch, seal watch, puffins, lobstering, etc) but I know the big operator, Cap'n Fish, unfortunately stops these Columbus Day. I'm not sure about the others. ( As you are starting to realize, a lot of businesses around here fold their tents right around now).

Acadia would really be a long haul for you....although it is, of course, probably the most absolutely spectacular part of Maine. However it would take a good 3 1/2 hours from Ogunquit.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Suggestions for Day Trips from Ogunquit

I'd go to Camden over Boothbay. Especially this time of year for someone who likes mountains.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Suggestions for Day Trips from Ogunquit

Good grief, what was I thinking! I agree with Michele 100 per cent. Camden will take you a bit over 2 hours (perhaps 2 and a half, but I think less). Lovely village by the sea, and a couple of nice (not too strenuous) climbs into the hills------I suggest the Maiden Cliff trail for spectacular views of Penobscot Bay.

While in the Camden area, Rockport is also a nice village. (Don't confuse it with nearby Rockland. Rockland is fine, but is more of a small city. It does have the Farnsworth Museum though, which houses an incredible collection of Wyeth paintings).

Springfield...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Suggestions for Day Trips from Ogunquit

More great ideas! Thanks again. We can't wait to get started. The forecast looks a little rainy for next week, but even that won't dampen our spirits. Oh, and just FYI "Downeast", my wife called Red's today and MORE good news...they are open through October 15th.

9. Re: Need Suggestions for Day Trips from Ogunquit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 12:18