We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaves are getting prettier and prettier!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Leaves are getting prettier and prettier!

I've had jobs in Southern Maine the last three days (two days in York and one in Portland) and I'm so incredibly excited about the color I see when I'm out driving.

Despite the drought we had earlier in the summer, it seems that the rain in late summer must have balaned things out. I'm probably going to jinx us by saying this, but I think we're on track to have a lovely foliage season, at least in Zone 1 (the coast all the way from Kittery to Camden.)

So exciting!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaves are getting prettier and prettier!

You are ahead of us, then. Things are coloring up here on MDI, but we seem to be well short of the peak, so far. We did notice more color as we drove to and from Bangor last Thursday.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaves are getting prettier and prettier!

i drove from the Samoset in Rockport to the Biddeford/Kennebunk area yesterday. Some parts of the drive were spectacular, others still changing. The earlier colors were muted, but the colors this weekend were much more colorful. Gotta love Maine!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaves are getting prettier and prettier!

I just returned from Ellsworth. Along Northeast Creek, which is crossed by Rte 3 about two miles from the Trenton Bridge, the color (red maples) has boomed. There were ten cars parked there, everyone out taking photos.

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaves are getting prettier and prettier!

Spent the weekend up around the Patten area and it has got to be nearing "peak" up that way. Some of the trees are already bare whereas a few still just starting to change but overall its probably near the best it will be. Of course, that is always the way since different trees change at different times and also the difference in locations. The view from RT11 south of Patten out across the valley and hills to Mt. Katahdin was great.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaves are getting prettier and prettier!

Hi cwvoigt,

I know the exact spot you're talking about! Those (three?) maples always put on one of the earliest shows of color on MDI.

And, it seems like they've made a pact to not mimic one another as they always seem to be three very distinct colors.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaves are getting prettier and prettier!

Yes, Northeast Creek color seldom disappoints. The other area that always is good, although it's a little tough to get good photos, is the stretch on Eagle Lake Road from McFarland Hill (where the park entrance is) down to Eagle Lake.

And County Mounty---I'm seeing some of the same here, i.e,, some of the earliest trees to color are now rapdily losing their leaves and many others have just begun to turn. This was especially evident on the back way (Rte 230) into Ellsworth and along the edges of some of the wetlands along Rte 3 here on MDI.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaves are getting prettier and prettier!

Wiscasset and Damarascotta seem to have alot more color than downtown Boothbay Harbor right now. Was in both towns earlier this week and the colors were gorgeous.

There's still alot of green here w/bright spots of color here and there. There's also alot of muted colors too. Must have something to do with the slightly warmer temps here due to being on the water :).

Thanks for reporting about the colors Michelle!

cozyharbor

8. Re: Leaves are getting prettier and prettier!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 14:21