We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice - Week along coastal Maine in March '08

Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Advice - Week along coastal Maine in March '08

My husband and I are seriously considering spending a week in Maine in mid-March, and I'm hoping to find a little advice here. I realize this won't be your typical "spring break", but what kind of weather could we expect? We would be travelling with our toddler, and probably flying into either Boston or Manchester, then renting a car and driving for a week. I really don't know much about the area, but from looking at a map, it seemed like a good idea to just stay on the highway that runs along the coast, stopping and staying in various towns along the way, then returning via the interstate. Is this a good basic plan, or do you have any suggestions to achieve a better "Maine experience"? How much could we realistically see in a week's time without too fast of a pace? Lastly, (be honest!) are we nuts for visiting that time or year? Thanks so much for any input!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,058 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice - Week along coastal Maine in March '08

You could possibly be nuts for visiting at that time of year. March is still very much winter here. At least it is most years. We are likely to get some significant snow storms in March. March is a colder and snowier month than November.

Also, you could have some real trouble finding nice places to stay in the little towns along the coast. Most places are closed. But you could definitely find lodging in Portland, Freeport, and maybe Camden. Three or four places, mostly Bed and Breakfast, would be open in Bar Harbor. But March is way before the season opens. That trip in May would be much more pleasant. You would have a wider choice of lodging and restaurants and no threat of getting stranded by a foot of snow.

Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice - Week along coastal Maine in March '08

Thanks for your honest opinion! It's not often that we have a whole week off to devote to a trip, and we were hoping this might work out. But, it sounds like if we really want to experience the area, we'd be much better off visiting at a different time. Thanks again for the info!

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice - Week along coastal Maine in March '08

Unless you want to snowmobile or go ice fishing I would say you are probably nuts. While I find beauty in winter landscapes sometimes just as much as other seasons even I am looking to head someplace warm by February or March and I DO snowmobile and ice fish. March will still be very cold and there is normally plenty of snow and if it happens to warm up a little it will be sleet, slush, yuck. Again there are certain things about winter in Maine that are nice but a trip along the Maine coast for vacation/sightseeing does not sound like that much fun to me. As already mentioned many places will be closed. If I was planning a March trip to Maine it would be to stay at a ski lodge or a nice cabin for skiing and snowmobiling.

4. Re: Advice - Week along coastal Maine in March '08

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2007, 21:59
5. Re: Advice - Week along coastal Maine in March '08

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 20:17