We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling in 2008

Ontairo, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling in 2008

Hi everyone...my husband and I are planning a trip in July, 2008 to Maine, travelling fron Ontario Canada. We are travelling to the area to attend a meet in Sunday River which runs from July 3rd to July 6th. It is our plan to leave home on or about 26th and travel around Maine before arriving in Bethel/Sunday River on July 3rd...any suggestions, information, ideas etc. that you can offer would be appreciated!!

Thanks all!!!

Mentioned in this post
Ontario
Ontario
Canada
Bethel
Bethel
Maine
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling in 2008

What do you like to do? Outdoorsy activities, sight-seeing, shopping?

Ontairo, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling in 2008

When we travel we like to do a little of everything - shopping, dining, sightseeing, outdoorsy stuff, driving trips....

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling in 2008

Sunday River is only about an hour and a half driving-time to Portland, so I would suggest you might like to come to Portland which would offer quite a few choices. There is a lot to do in the city itself, depending on what you feel like doing (e.g., walking around/getting a tour of the Old Port or other historic districts, great dining/shopping, the art museum as well as artists' studios, many cultural activities, etc). You could consider taking the ferry out to one of the islands in Casco Bay and having a great walk, bike, beach-time, lunch, or kayaking....or spend several hours on the ferry and visit ALL of the islands. There are also sailboat excursions, whale-watch boats, harbour tour boats, and so on. Or tour the area by car and visit Portland Head Light, the nearby beaches, Freeport (home of L.L. Bean), or go farther south along the coast.

From there I would drive the three hours (or a bit more, depending on traffic) to Mt. Desert Island/Acadia National Park. and spend several days there. There is so much to see and do in that area that you could spend several days there and still not have enough.

You could also consider starting in some area south of Portland (such as Kennebunkport) and making your way slowly up the coast with stops in Portland, Camden and such before hitting Mt. Desert. I (obviously, although I own a ski house on a lake near Bethel) have somewhat of a bias towards the coast but if you like lakes you could add some time in the lakes district of southern Maine before returning to the Bethel area.

As you research your trip and start to fine-tune the things you'd most like to do and see, everyone here is happy to help you!

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: Travelling in 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 22:17