We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan a trip to Maine, please.

Eastern Kentucky
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help me plan a trip to Maine, please.

My husband and I want to take a trip to Maine this summer. He wants to see whales; I want to see lighthouses. We'd like to stay in the southern part of Maine on the beach. It's just the two of us, no kids, so availability of kid activities is not important. What beaches are clean, and not horribly crowded? Also, if you have a suggestion as to where to stay in your favorite beach town, that would be great too.

Thanks for your help.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan a trip to Maine, please.

It sounds as though you've already done your research! The best beaches and beach towns are in southern Maine (anywhere south of Portland), lighthouses abound, and there are whale-watch trips out of Portland, Portsmouth New Hampshire, and points in between.

You mention "not horribly crowded" so let's ex-out Old Orchard Beach right now. Other than that, all of the southern beaches are fairly equal. All are clean.

It then depends on what else you want for amenities....and your budget. There are gorgeous inns right near Portland---if you have a big budget, I'd go that way. The Inn By The Sea in Cape Elizabeth is a spectacular property. Ditto the Black Point Inn in Scarborough, which is also spectacular but is an older property (which is not a bad comment---the place is amazing, with two beaches at its front door, and more amenties than I can count). At either of these places, you'd be near Portland, which has so much to offer.

As you go down the coast south from there, Kennebunkport has a lot of B&B's, and that whole Bush ambiance. Ogunquit is lovely. You can be near Ogunquit beach but do it much more cheaply by staying at one of the zillion places in Wells....there are actually a lot of condo properties available there, which can bring the price of your vacation down. York is beautiful, with three beaches.

I'm happy to help, as are others here at Tripadvisor, but I could be of more assistance if you narrow down your choices.

Eastern Kentucky
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan a trip to Maine, please.

Thank you so much. Old Orchard Beach looks so cute in the photographs, but I was concerned that it would be far too crowded. I had considered Wells or Ogunquit. How do you pronounce that, by the way?

As far as lodging, we'd like to stay beach front, if we can afford it. Our travel budget is not huge. We definitely want to stay at a place that has a pool. I also prefer a motel/hotel that offers efficiency rooms, but we might be able to get by with just a fridge and microwave if the motel offered free breakfast. I know I sound like a cheapskate, but I hate blowing my entire vacation budget on eating out.

Anyway, thanks for all the info. I'll check out the places you recommended.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,739 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan a trip to Maine, please.

To pronounce Ogunquit: Oh-gun-kwit (Accent on the second syllable)

Old Orchard Beach can be crowded. However, there are also a lot of affordable options on the beach, or one block back from the beach. For less-crowded parts, look for the Ocean Park end. Check also Pine Point and Scarborough.

If you go with Wells or Ogunquit, make sure what you book is actually waterfront. Even if its name says something like "By the Sea," it may actually sit on Route One.

There are whale watches that go out of the Kennebunk/Kennebunkport area.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan a trip to Maine, please.

I agree with everything CB48 said, particularly regarding OOB. OOB has a lot of rooms that have kitchens, and certainly the most beach front lodging of any place in Maine.

Beachfront hotels in the other towns aren't as common as you might think. There are however a lot of cottages for rent.

Cape Arundel Inn in Kennebunkport is nice and is waterfront, as is The Nonantum. The Cliff House in Ogunquit is also very good.

I'm not as familiar with the smaller places south of Portland, and I am guessing there are smaller places that would fit your budget better than a lot of the places I've mentioned. I hope somebody else who is from that area can point you in the right direction!

5. Re: Help me plan a trip to Maine, please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 07:16