We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip from Burlington to Bar Harbor - where to stay...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
142 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Roadtrip from Burlington to Bar Harbor - where to stay...

Hi!

My husband and I are planning a 5-day roadtrip from Burlington, VT to Acadia NP (and then back again to Burlington for a wedding) this October. We'll also be celebrating our anniversary during this trip.

We don't have nearly as much time as we'd like but we do want to spend some time in the Green Mountains and also in Acadia NP. Given this, our tentative plan is:

Day 1: Drive from Burlington to Bar Harbor; arrive late and sleep in Bar Harbor.

Day 2: Hiking, kayaking and/or canoeing in Acadia.

Day 3: More time in Acadia; begin return trip sometime in the afternoon. Spend night in ? in VT or NH.

Day 4: Hiking in the Green Mountains. Sleep in Middlebury.

Day 5: More hiking in the Green Mountains. Drive back to Burlington late.

We'd greatly appreciate any recommendations/advice on hotels/B&Bs, restaurants (especially great bakeries/breakfast places) along the way and also where to break up the trip on Day 3. Also, any places that we shouldn't miss (we love the outdoors).

Many thanks!

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
458 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip from Burlington to Bar Harbor - where to stay...

My sister & I did this last year. We flew into Burlington,Vt. and drove. Except we stopped in Greenville, Me. to spend the night at Canders house B&B,very nice people. The area would be beautiful in the fall. We left there and drove to Sprucehead Island (midcoast). This year I will be spending 1 night in Camden at Quimby House Inn on Cottage St. This is almost in the center of Camden, everything is in walking distance. Jordan's restaurant is almost across the street and they have great breakfasts. On day 3 the Moosehead lake area would be a great stop over and the the drive back to Burlington would not be bad.

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
458 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip from Burlington to Bar Harbor - where to stay...

As I told MicheleS, I'm in so many places on vacation, I'm getting myself confused!!! Quimby House Inn is in Bar Harbor on Cottage St. and all the other info I gave you is correct for Bar Harbor.