We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip

Hello everyone,

I'm after abit of advice really, in the summer myself and the wife flew to California and did a 3 week road trip around California and Nevada and loved every second of it.

For our first trip I got alot of advice on routes and places to stay at on this site and was spot on. For our next adventure we are wanting to travel across America (Coast to Coast) but not really sure where to start really, just wondering if people could advise me on the following:

i) How long should we be looking at, can it be done in 2 weeks or will it take longer.

ii) Not sure if to travel East to West or West to East

iii) Don't really know where to start

If anyone has any experience of a similar road trip I'd love to hear about it.

Regards

David

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip

Going west to east is easier because you will have the sun in your eyes a lot less. Also, in the summer it's cooler to stick to the northern half of the states. A few years ago we drove from San Francisco to Maine. Unfortunately, we had some real time constraints, so we didn't get to make a lot of stops, but it was easy to see that you could make a wonderful trip of it. It can certainly be done in 2 weeks, but 3 would be a lot better.

I know you'll get loads of replies, but here are just a few things you could do along a northern tier trip:

Yellowstone National Park

Mount Rushmore (Rapid City SD)

Wisconsin lakes

Chicago (Can't recommend Chicago too strongly. It's just so much fun)

Rock & Roll Museum in Cleveland, OH

Niagara Falls

Brimfield Massachusetts for antiques

Old Sturbridge Village in MA for a visit to the colonial era

Boston!

Maine for its gorgeous ocean, fishing villages, wonderful food and people. A great place to end up because you can relax before you head home.

I you post more about the kinds of things you enjoy, you'll get tips that might be more suited to you.

Best regards.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Maine
Maine
United States
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip

Thanks for the reply Downeast, to be honest we are open to any kind of suggests as when we were in California we went to Alcatraz, Yosemite, Vegas and just relaxing so abit of a mixture.

I was thinking of starting in Seattle then working our way across to Maine or Boston.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip

I agree with Downeast that a northern route across the country would be preferable. Also, three weeks would allow for a somewhat more relaxed trip.

I didn't see anything about when you intend to do this (or is that one of the things on which you want opinion?). Were it me, I would plan such that I was in the northeast/New England area for fall foliage, i.e., early October.

Starting from Seattle, you might consider dropping down to Portland and then following the Columbia River for a while---the stretch from Portland to around The Dalles is beautiful.

Other places in the West that I would recommend are the Black Hills and Badlands of South Dakota.

Once in the East--and this is where my recommendation on timing comes in--I would travel across upstate New York, e.g., the Adirondacks, then through Vermont and New Hampshire and into Maine---the latter to include time in Acadia National Park.

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Vermont
Vermont
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Maine
Maine
United States
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip

Ditto on the suggestion to drop down to Portland OR and follow the Columbia River to The Dalles. Portland OR is one of my favorite small cities. It's beautiful, has great dining and Powell's, my favorite bookstore ever. They have an excellent microbrewery scene. East on the Columbia you'll come to Hood River, famous for its windsurfing, apples and the Hood River Brewery.

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
5. Re: Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 21:18