We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maine travel/camping

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
857 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Maine travel/camping

We are planning a 2 week trip this year to Maine, any suggestions on time of summer, places of interest, camping areas would be appreciated. We're a family of 3 (one 12 yr. old boy) with 3 G.S.P. hunting dogs. We like camping in out of the way places (don't like the dogs disturbing other people, they are well trained but have lots of energy). We, of course, want to eat lobster. I'm also curious about diving for them. What does a non-resident need?A lisc.? How much/ where? Looking at spending time along the coast and inland. Thanks

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maine travel/camping

It is illegal to dive for lobster. You can buy lobster almost anywhere in Maine.

Given your family configuration, I would suggest you head up to the Moosehead Lake area. If you are very woodsy, you can find free camping on staet land. If you want a bit more in the way of facilities, try Casey's Campground or Lily Bay State Park. You would be wise to buy a Delorme's atlas if you are heading up that was as there are hundreds - probably thousands - of miles of dirt road to travel and explore.

If you want to be on the coast but out of the way, head up toward Lubec and Eastport - absolutely gorgeous, spectacular tides, and a wonderful state park.

Boston
Level Contributor
382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maine travel/camping

I know there are lobster boat tours where you can watch (and help, I think) them pull up the traps. There's one out of Acadia, and you may be able to find them elsewhere.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maine travel/camping

It can be pretty buggy in early summer, especially away from the coast. So, you might want to try for later in the summer. The high season is July 4 to Labor Day, so make your reservations in advance if you can.

4. Re: Maine travel/camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 14:19