We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FYI, Route 1 Roadwork Between Bath and Wiscasset

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Topic
FYI, Route 1 Roadwork Between Bath and Wiscasset

Route 1 is being detoured onto a residential street in Woolwich, George Wright Road, for about 4 miles. The detour begins about 500 feet north of the Taste of Maine restaurant.

This detour is to allow MDOT to repair a short overpass on Route 1. The detour will last for 12 weeks; i.e., until mid-May.

The speed limit on the detour route is 30mph, and you must slow to 25mph or less to get onto the detour at its southern end. The detour route is truly a residential street, with no shoulders, no breakdown lanes, no turn lanes, and with many houses, children, pedestrians, mailboxes, etc. very close to the road.

So far, I haven't seen any traffic problems or backups, but this has only been in place for two days, weather has been good, we have no tourists this time of year and it's school vacation week. We'll see how it goes as we get into spring.

This detour is on the route you will take to Boothbay Harbor if you take Route 1.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FYI, Route 1 Roadwork Between Bath and Wiscasset

Thanks for posting this - my mother mentioned it today, as she knows I'm heading up the coast in the next couple of weeks. Is the detour well-marked?

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: FYI, Route 1 Roadwork Between Bath and Wiscasset

The detour is well marked. There is almost no lighting at the turnoffs, though, so it could be a little scary at night making the turn.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FYI, Route 1 Roadwork Between Bath and Wiscasset

Guess I'd better go in daylight:-) Down here we can't see past the snowbanks!

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: FYI, Route 1 Roadwork Between Bath and Wiscasset

Just a quick followup. The detour route has been an absolute minefield of potholes. MDOT crews worked on them last Thursday, Friday and Sunday, so things are improved from their absolutely disastrous state, but it's still not great and the potholes look likely to sprout back soon.

Also, the sheriff's department has been patrolling frequently and enforcing the speed limit pretty vigorously.

Also, don't even think about trying to drive around the barriers on Route 1 to avoid the detour. Some nut did that last Friday night and went right through the large gaps in the under-repair Nequasset Bridge. The only thing that saved him from dropping 40 feet into the water is that apparently his axle got caught up on some part of the structure. The newspaper said they didn't know how badly the driver was injured, but he was admitted to the hospital Friday night and released before Monday, so I guess he must not have paid too high a price for his madness!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FYI, Route 1 Roadwork Between Bath and Wiscasset

Thanks for the heads up. I hope they get done on or ahead of schedule!

6. Re: FYI, Route 1 Roadwork Between Bath and Wiscasset

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 01:16