We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Orchard Beach

West Bend WI
11 posts
Save Topic
Old Orchard Beach

My husband and I along with our two daughters ages 15 and 18 along with our family friend (adult)will be arriving in Boston on the 1st of August. I plan on staying two days in Boston and then leaving on Sunday morning for the beach. A friend recommended York Beach but I like the festive atmosphere of Old Orchard Beach. Any recommendations??

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Orchard Beach

Hi jds,

I'm not really familiar with either York Beach or OOB so I can't really respond and be helpful, but I did want to bump your post up with hopes that some of the locals or those familiar with both areas will reply.

Good luck :).

cozyharbor

Barre, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
144 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Orchard Beach

Old Orchard will probably be more fun for your teens. There's a lot more for them to do there than at York.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Orchard Beach

I agree that your teens will have more fun at OOB. If they get bored with the beach and the people-watching, they can hit the arcades, grab some fries, wander the pier, etc.

West Bend WI
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Orchard Beach

I hate this vacation planning stuff. If it was up to me we would land in Boston, stay a couple of days, jump in a car, drive up the coast and see where the road takes us....but noooooo hubby doesn't go for that. Now I'm thinking maybe Hampton Beach in New Hampshire. Sounds alot like Old Orchard Beach. Can someone plan this vacation for me? It's now 1:00 in the morning and I still don't know what the heck we are going to do after we leave Boston. I know we want to spend time at the beach but I also want to see some of Maine. OK now I'm just going to go to bed and start all over tomorrow when I get home from work.....Thanks for letting me vent. Does it sound like I need a vacation!!!!

Barre, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
144 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Orchard Beach

You still have almost 4 months before vacation. Relax and take a deep breath. I actually find it fun planning vacations. It gives me something to look forward to.

As for Hampton Beach, you are correct. Your teens would like that as well. There's a long strip of stores and food stands and amusements. On the plus side, it's about 1/2 an hour closer to Boston than Old Orchard. Old Orchard has an advantage because there's more lodging options.

Your kids will have fun at either beach.