We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tide Pools

Grand Rapids, Mi.
Level Contributor
126 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Tide Pools

Where are the best spots in Maine to explore tide pools? Thanks

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tide Pools

Hi MiFlower-Child,

Didn't I just see you in Indiana?

There are tidal pools all along the rocky coast of Maine. I liked the tidal pools in the Wonderland area of Acadia NP. The reason is the area is more level and was easier to walk around. If you want rugged, you can drive 1 mile down the road to Bass Harbor Light and take stairs 50 feet down to the rocks.

I am sure that other members will have more great locations for you. Enjoy your trip!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tide Pools

Wonderland is one of my favorite areas in all seasons of the year. As has been noted, the tide pools there are easily accessible. Moreover, you won't have to deal with any appreciable surf. There are others---the Bass Harbor Light, as noted, and at the tip of Great Head---but in the one case there are a lot of stairs and at Great Head, it is very tricky getting down to them (and getting back up).

From near the point at Wonderland, you also can walk the shoreline (all rock and stones) to the west over to the Ship Harbor area, take that trail back to the road, and then walk a very short way back to the Wonderland access.

Grand Rapids, Mi.
Level Contributor
126 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tide Pools

Thanks rwdw and cwvoiqt for your ideas on the tide pools!! We will be visiting Maine in September. We saw tide pools while out west in Oregon and wanted to check out the east coast. Yes, rwdw you did see me in the Indiana forums....we're off to see Turkey Run State Park in May. Thanks again folks!!

4. Re: Tide Pools

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 14:21