We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maine Windjammers

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Maine Windjammers

Within the next two years, I am very interested in taking either a 4 day or 6 day sail on a Maine Windjammer. I've sent for all the brochures and I have gone through them a number of times. I would like to know whether anyone on this forum has first hand experience sailing on one of these schooners - for any length of time and, if so, how you would critique your experience.

I've been on some of the cruise sites looking for reviews on the windjammers but they all seem to be dealing with the mass market cruises. If you further search these sites for 'windjammer' you typically end up with 'barefoot crusing' within the Carribean and that is not what I want.

Thanks for your help.

Boston...
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maine Windjammers

I took a windjammer cruise about 20 years ago... I'm sure not too much has changed. The ship sailed out of the Camden area. I remember the food was fantastic, the crew was friendly and encouraged us to help sail the ship. The sunrise and sunsets were something I will always remember. The cabins were very small and cramped but we didn't spend much time in them. The showers were "cold" water only and that was the hardest thing to deal with. Overall, it was a fantastic 5 days and I would recommend it to anyone who loves to be on the water. Also, remember the ocean water in Maine is always COLD but everyone ened up going for swim at some point. We tried sleeping on deck one night with sleeping bags.. it was fun but we woke up soaking wet from the dew. ENJOY

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maine Windjammers

Paula -

Thanks. Do you remember the schooner you sailed with?

3. Re: Maine Windjammers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 07:17