We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking "Best of Midcoast" reco's !

Boston
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Seeking "Best of Midcoast" reco's !

Am heading to Midcoast Maine in a week with my wife and kids (ages 6 and 4), and was hoping for some must-visit activities and casual restaurants. Rockport (where we're staying), Rockland, Camden, Castine... and other area towns. Thanks in advance!

Boston area
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking "Best of Midcoast" reco's !

G'day mate, you'll love the midcoast region. I stayed at an Inn in Rockland Capt Lindsey House Inn. Brilliant! While in Rockland you must visit the Farnsworth Museum and some of the shops. We had dinner in a local habg out family restaurant The Park Street Grille, wow let me say that backwards, wow the best margaritias in town I dare say. Hope this helps.

Rockland, Maine
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking "Best of Midcoast" reco's !

An Aussie in Boston? Got any VB with you?

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
462 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking "Best of Midcoast" reco's !

You are travelling in my favorite area. Owls Head transportation

museum on rt. 73, I think you would all like. Miller's lobster co. on rt.73 & Eagle Quarry Rd. in Sprucehead. In Rockland on rt. 1 is Sweet Sensations Pastry Shop (on left towards Camden) is a Must if you enjoy really good pastries. In Rockland, small?? cafe called Rockland Cafe, casual & good food. Also in Rocland they have just opened The Lighthouse Museum, which is on my agenda in Aug. On the way out of Camden (just outside) going east, Mt Battie Auto Road takes you to the top of Mt. Battie, this is absolutely beautiful, looking down on Camden, Rockport, Rockland, & beyond, to the islands. Make sure you have film!!!

Right by there is Mt. Battie Carryout, they have the BEST ice cream!! If you get the chance go to Thomaston to the State prison store, they have something for everyone, all handmade & hand carved. It is Not a scary place , the kids will be fine and Thomaston is a beautiful town. Also a little ways past Camden is Lincolnville Beach where the little ones can stick their toes in the water. Also btween Camden & Rockport is Aldemere farm that has North America's largest herd of Belted Galloway cattle.

This is on the backroads between the 2 towns. If this isn't enough info go to www.therealmaine.com & www.visitcamden.com Have a great time!!!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking "Best of Midcoast" reco's !

Agreeing with what already has been said plus adding my 2��:

The Grasshopper Shoppe in Rockland for cool gifts, clothes, housewares, toys, games. Planet in Camden is along the same lines, but has an even bigger toy department. The kids will love it.

At the Maine Photographic Workshops in Rockport there are weeklong classes going on all summer in photography. You can't drop in on that, but you can drop in on exhibits and lectures. There are usually lectures several weeknights in the main hall and they are given by some of the leading photographers working today. Awesome stuff. If you are at all interested in photography, you should stop into the Workshops' office and ask who is on the schedule for the lecture/slide shows that week. You could luck into a fantastic presentation.

Marshall Point Lighthouse at the tip of the St. George Penninsula in the quaint town of Port Clyde. There is an ice cream shop.

Terrific lunch spots: the Camden Deli in downtown Camden & The Brown Bag cafe on Route 1 in Rockland.

Get out on a boat or ferry on Penobscot Bay. Either the North Haven or Vinalhaven ferries from Rockland or the Isleboro ferry from Lincolnville Beach. You really need a car to see anything on Isleboro, but you could get to enough stuff on foot on the other two islands.

Best lobster roll in the state in the Castine Variety. www.bangornews.com/news/templates/…