We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Me Plan 1st Trip to Maine..... : )

Nepean
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help Me Plan 1st Trip to Maine..... : )

Hello All

After scanning for hours through hotel reviews and forum posts and possibly confusing myself more then when I started I turn to the forum members for help in pointing me into the right direction for Maine vacation this fall either labor day or few days after.

This will be my first time in Maine and mostly would like to stay somewhere relatively quiet with ocean front views and not hours away from amenities, shops, restaurants and local tourist destinations.

Would prefer to be along the coast and not in a harbor, beach front hotel or Inn, cottage would be great ,long stretches of beaches needed.

The busy atmosphere of OOB does not interest me as would rather take in the scenery of the beach, coast and ocean. Ogunquit, Bar Harbor sounds nice but maybe a little too touristy as sounds like it can get rather busy there.

Aswell I do know it is high season and is pricey but would like to keep hotels to as cheap as possible yet not cheap out on what I am looking for out of my trip, hotel suggestions very welcome and encouraged aswell…lol……..

I think mid coast problay along the lines of where I would like to be although the south coast does have it’s appeal but not looking for the crowds either…..Have looked at Belfast, Camden, Rockland but would like some opinions on where I should be looking more based on my criteria’s. Thank you in Advance.

The Maine Brew Bus
Distillery Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Portland Fire Engine Co
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Schooner Yacht Heron
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Me Plan 1st Trip to Maine..... : )

Looking at your criteria I have two recommendations: Biddeford Pool (nearby names are Fortune's Rocks, Granite Point and Hills Beach) or Ocean Park (below Old Orchard Beach, but not as nutty.)

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Me Plan 1st Trip to Maine..... : )

Camden is a wonderful place, but there are no long stretches of beach there, so if that's a must, it's out. It's true that Ogunquit is very touristy in the summer, but there is a big dropoff at Labor Day weekend. If you were to come in, say, on Labor Day and for a few days after, you would get all the benefits of Ogunquit with a lot fewer people.

Considering this is your first trip to Maine and you're only here for a few days, I would go to Ogunquit. That would allow you easy day trips to Portland and Freeport as well.

South Bend, Indiana
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Me Plan 1st Trip to Maine..... : )

My husband and I visit Maine annually. We have traveled the coast of Maine from Kittery to Lubec. Our favorite place is Bar Harbor. We do not stay in BH but on the quite side of MDI at the Seawall. There is a nice and inexpensive motel called the Seawall motel there and also a camp grounds. We are not campers so I am no help there. But Dave the owner at the Seawall motel is so nice and he will even have breakfast ready for you in the morning. Dave is great about helping you out with finding the right trails to hike and suggestions on restaurants or where to kayak at.

The Seawall Motel is located next to a fresh water pond and across the street from the ocean. At night we will go to bed with the windows open and just listen to the water hit the rocky shore. Yes there is no beach but a rocky shore (it is Maine).

www.seawallmotel.com

But if you want some night life or touristy stuff to do it is only a short drive across the island. Do not forget to stop by Thurstons Lobster Pound for lobstah. The best place on the MDI to eat.

I hope you have a great time. We always do!!!

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Me Plan 1st Trip to Maine..... : )

Hi Chris,

I've got to agree w/CB48's suggestion of Biddeford Pool as it has everything you're looking for ie long stretch of beautiful beach, relatively quiet but yet only a short distance to the hustle and bustle of Portland to the north or Kennebunkport to the south.

What Biddeford Pool also has is ambience. Its pure old time Maine w/wonderful old weathered cottages, great shoreside walking, and the feeling that you're really escaping the ratrace.

However it may be tough to find a rental there and I don't think (though I could be wrong) there are any Inns or hotels there. Maybe a B&B.

The only other area if beach is a priority and an 'away from it all' feeling is desireable, is possibly the Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth. This is modern inn but with a lovely atmosphere, a nice restaurant, a spa and is on Crescent Beach. They offer a variety of accomodations from Inn rooms, to cottages and homey condo's. Many of which have ocean views. I've stayed here several times and loved it.

What's also nice about Inn by the Sea is that you are very close to Portland Headlight and closer still to Portland than you would be in Biddeford Pool. You could have room service too if so desired from their great restaurant :).

The other areas you listed are beautiful and appealing but they do not have the beach you seem to crave.

One last suggestion that might fit the bill might be either the Reid State Park Beach or Popham Beach locations. Both beaches are beautiful and have an 'away from it all feeling'. There are a few Inns and B&B's in those locations but none right on the beach. However, you might find a cottage rental within walking distance. A negative (though I don't look at it that way) is that you'll be at least a 15 to 20 minute to commercial activities, shopping,etc. in either Bath or Brunswick. There are a few lobster shacks and restaurants in the Popham Beach or Reid State Park areas but that's it. No downtowns or hustle or bustle, though you will find some neat antique shops, art galleries, general stores scattered here and there.

Good luck with your plans and let us know how things go.

cozyharbor

Malta, New York
Level Contributor
71 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Me Plan 1st Trip to Maine..... : )

I can't help you much on a hotel (didn't really care for where I stayed when I went), but I think Ferry Beach in Saco is just what you're looking for ... it's a beautiful, well-maintained and not-touristy beach, very quiet and nice.

6. Re: Help Me Plan 1st Trip to Maine..... : )

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 06:23