We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go on Maine's coast in Sept?

Michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go on Maine's coast in Sept?

Planning our first trip to Maine with another couple to coincide with event in Searsport the first weekend. If we spend a week more and want to see as much as we can along the coast and Acadia, where do you suggest we stay? We are trying to be economical, but are not campers. Thought we'd rent a cottage together, but most would require a weekly rental. That would be ok if we can take day trips from somewhere and see a lot. I'm not sure how far apart places are and how long the drives would be. We're not sure if we'll drive or fly in and rent a car (where to do that?) We'd like to take in the beautiful scenery, browse the towns and shops, eat some great seafood, maybe go on a boating excursion, that sort of thing.

Can anyone make some suggestions for where to look for accomodations? And where would you fly into? Bangor, Portland, or Boston? Thanks!

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go on Maine's coast in Sept?

We just returned from Cape Porpoise and stayed at the Cape Porpoise Motel. It is a small family owned propterty with 7 rooms with kitchenettes and one cottage. It's not glamorous or fancy, but very nice, very clean and right on the other side of Kennebunkport. Goose Rocks Beach is wonderful. I think the location is good for you, as you are close to a lot of things, just far enough to be peaceful.

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
447 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go on Maine's coast in Sept?

If you are going to be in midcoast ,I would fly into Bangor. Ihave done that the past 10 trips to Maine because it was non-stop from Cincinnati, but with all the Delta mess ups the past year they no longer offer non-stops into Bangor and I can't see taking a 4-6 or 7 hour flights that always tooks 21/2 hrs.

So, this year I'm flying in and out of Portland!!! I always rent a car through hotwire, they have always been the cheapest and it has always been either a hertz or avis car. Bangor Airport is 1/12-2 hrs. from Camden going route 1-A

On to the second part. Searsport area is a good location to make trips from. The locations that I would recommend staying is between Camden and Belfast.I have stayed at "Beloins on the Coast" The cottages are different configurations and you could be in either 1 or 2. Go to there website www.beloins.com they do rent by the night or week. Tehy are directly on the water and the views are wonderful. Also the Comfort Inn Oceans Edge overlooking Penobscot Bay.

Acadia is about 2/12 hrs. from here. There is loads of info on TA on small cottages that rent nightly or go to www.acadiamagic.com.

Visit the chamber of commerce sites for the towns of Camden, Belfast(I like both of thes towns alot!!),

On TA, CW is the expert when it comes to Acadia as far as what to do, where to go, eat, stay, etc. Read and listent to what he has to say. I know I do!!!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go on Maine's coast in Sept?

I agree with traveltoo---the best of the Maine coast probably is from Camden on up to (and past) Mount Desert Island. From the Searsport area to MDI (Acadia) is about 60 miles, which translates to about 90 minutes drive time. In addition to the sources that traveltoo recommmended, you might check out

http://www.ouracadia.com

The Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park forums are good information sources on a variety of subjects and there always are a lot of people who can answer your questions.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go on Maine's coast in Sept?

You have to keep checking the air prices and the car prices as Boston is only a 90min drive to Portland and with 4 persons flying you might save several hundred dollars. If feasible, however, the ultimate is to fly into Bangor and fly home from Portland or Boston...renting a car one-way.

High Tide Inn near Camden should have some affordable rates in September, Glenmoor-by-the-Sea is another good choice. If you have a full week you'd probably want to stay 3 nights up near Bar Harbor and 4 nights down near Camden....or 3 Bar Harbor/2 Camden/2 Ogunquit.....otherwise you have long drives to see everything but in Sept the drive is quite pleasant if you don't mind nice long day trips. See the lakes area too! A couple of nice lakes near Camden, and the Sebago Lakes area west of Portland are well worth the time.

5. Re: Where to go on Maine's coast in Sept?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 03:19