We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving acadia - white mountains

singapore
2 posts
Save Topic
driving acadia - white mountains

we're going to be driving from acadia national park to white mountain national park. no huge rush but ideally we'd want to cover the distance within a day / 1.5 days if possible; and we're interested mostly in scenery and food.

could anyone suggest the best route for us? thanks in advance!

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving acadia - white mountains

Hi quivalen,

That's alot of road to cover in a day or day and a half!

I've never driven the route you're thinking of, but I imagine it must take at least 5 hours or longer. And that's just going from point A to point B ie Bar Harbor to the White Mountains with no stops in between, traffic or browsing the scenery, eating, hitting the rest room, gassing up.

However, if you're really into speed and seeing as much in as possible in a very short time, I imagine its doable.

As far as the roads to take...can't help you out there as I've never driven that route all at once. It might be a good idea to purchase a copy of a New England map, specifically Northern New England to see all the connecting highways between the 2 states.

Hopefully there are those who have made the trip you're aspiring to and they'll post and help you out.

Good luck and welcome to Maine and New England :).

cozyharbor

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,519 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving acadia - white mountains

I think it is easily doable in a day. I've done it with no problem at all. I'd leave Acadia and take the route, through Ellsworth, to Bangor. Then take Highway 2, all the way across Maine. It will bring you into New Hamphshire at the northern end of the White Mountain National Park.

The time I did it, we stopped to stretch and take pictures at the waterfall in Skowhegan, stopped for lunch in Bethel, Maine, and were in Sugar Hill, NH, on the western edge of the White Mountains, well before dinner time.

3. Re: driving acadia - white mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 21:18