We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too much for one day???>?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
346 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Too much for one day???>?

Question for a Wednesday in the middle of September. We are spending the night in Gloucester. If we left Bar Harbor fairly early would we have time to stop around Camden for awhile and also spend some time at Fort Williams Park at Cape Elizabeth and end up at Gloucester before dark? When I looked it up on Google it looked like it is about two hours to Camden, another two to Cape Elizabeth and two more to Gloucester which seems ok with stops along the way. What do you think? I don't want to just drive by everything and not get to stop.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too much for one day???>?

It certainly would be a full day. And here is something to make it "fuller." On your way to Camden on Rte. 1, you will cross the Penobscot Narrows Bridge, which has an observatory atop the west tower---great views of the area.

To get to the observatory, turn right immediately after crossing the bridge and enter Fort Knox park (the fort also is interesting).

You apparently have a greater tolerance for driving (and keeping to a schedule) than do I. I would split the trip, staying the night somewhere around Portland, allowing more time to stop and see whatever looks interesting.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
346 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too much for one day???>?

Is it usually foggy in the mornings? If it is fairly clear when we get to the Penobscot bridge I'd like to stop and go up to the observatory but if it is real foggy I don't think I'd bother with it. We used to live on the California coast and had fog quite often in the mornings. As long as we ended up in Gloucester by 8:00 p.m. I'd be happy.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too much for one day???>?

"Is it usually foggy in the mornings?"

The only answer I can give, not that it will be all that helpful, is---not necesarily. Lately, we have been having a lot of foggy mornings (and sometimes days) on MDI. Generally, we don't have as much fog in September.

At any rate, as you approach the area of the bridge, you ought to be able to judge whether there is too much fog.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,357 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too much for one day???>?

I think you'll be fine. It could be a little over two hours to Camden and a little less than two to Portland. After Portland be sure to stay on I-95 to make up some time.

My guess is that you can stop for an hour at each stop and still be in Gloucester well before 8:00 p.m.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
346 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too much for one day???>?

Thanks for all your help. I'm really looking forward to this trip - just hoping for sunshine and fairly warm temperatures.

6. Re: Too much for one day???>?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 23:16