We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any insights on staying in Camden vs Desert Island?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
82 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Any insights on staying in Camden vs Desert Island?

Hello everyone. A quick question: I have 5 nights for my honeymoon in September that I am splitting between Camden and Desert Island. Any reccomendations on which location should get two nights and which should get three? And why? Thanks for your help.

Boston, MA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Any insights on staying in Camden vs Desert Island?

Try the Hawthorn Inn in Camden, ME Great place for a honeymoon. Just tell the innkeeper, Maryanne, and she'll take care of you. Take either the Watney ot Queen Anne suites. I'd do 3 nights in Camden - more to do.

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any insights on staying in Camden vs Desert Island?

Onthe other hand, I would disagree with the above post. In my opinion, there's alot more to do in MDI. The window shopping is great in both. The wander around town and enjoy factor is gorgeous in both, but the town of Bar Harbor is a little more spread out than Camden. Then there is SW and Bass Harbor plus there is a larger staying active quotient to consider around Acadia. I'd vote for the 3nights in MDI and 2 or less in Camden. Also as far as accomodations... the Country inn in Rockport (it's like 1 mile maybe from Camden center) has a great Honeymoon suite. Lofted post and beam...

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any insights on staying in Camden vs Desert Island?

Rooms on the top floor of the Camden Harbour Inn will have some pretty good views. See http://www.camdenharbourinn.com/

Another vote for three nights on Mount Desert Island.

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
462 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any insights on staying in Camden vs Desert Island?

Just came back from a week in Camden. We stayed in a beautiful house on Sea St. overlooking the harbor. This is the first time I've stayed "in-town" anywhere in Maine, I'm usually farther away from the crowds. It was reallly nice being able to walk wherever you wanted to go, shopping, eating, or to the park to listen to concerts. The 2 things I didn't like was the church bells EVERY hour and then every morning at 8 a.m. there was this HUGE bang, that you could literally feel. I have no idea what that was, I'll have to ask the lady I rented from!!! I think this is the last time for "in-town".