We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rte. 1 construction/Brunswick

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,797 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Rte. 1 construction/Brunswick

Hi-

We're headed to Boothbay tomorrow and saw a newspaper article on the construction northbound on Route One through Brunswick. Does any one know where they're working right now?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rte. 1 construction/Brunswick

I don't, but you might check the Maine DOT web site at http://67.106.3.239/

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,797 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rte. 1 construction/Brunswick

Thanks - I did check per your suggestion, but they're not too specific (surprise, surprise!). Oh well, guess we'll wing it:)

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rte. 1 construction/Brunswick

I don't know exactly where this is right now, but if you want to avoid it entirely, you could get off at the northernmost Freeport exit and take the back road into Brunswick and then the back road from Brunswick to Cook's Corner. It's a pleasant drive.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rte. 1 construction/Brunswick

I wouldn't take the back road suggested unless you really know your way around as there are lots and lots of turns to make. One screw-up, and you're lost.

A day or so ago I saw a paving contraption on Northbound Route 1 where it runs alongside the Androscoggin River (between downtown Brunswick and Cooks Corner). So, I think whether you get off the interstate at Brunswick or Topsham, you'll still be affected.

My advice: stay on the interstate until Topsham.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rte. 1 construction/Brunswick

Here's the article: pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php…

Definitely wait and get off the interstate at Topsham to avoid most--but not all-- of the repaving.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,797 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rte. 1 construction/Brunswick

I will bump this up to update it: When we went through on Thursday, the construction (ripping up of pavement) started just where the connector came onto Route 1, so either route would have been the same as far as inconvenience. One lane is open and people were, for the most part, merging on an every-other-car basis. The ripped pavement was as far as Cook's Corner when my friend came through Friday a.m.

When we came back southbound today, it appeared that a base coat has been laid, but more paving will be happening. There is no construction on Sundays.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rte. 1 construction/Brunswick

The article in the paper said that Route 1 will be repaved starting at Cushing Street, which is near where the little footbridge crosses the river from Topsham to Brunswick(between Downtown Brunswick and the I-295 exit) so when they move to that point on Route 1, getting off at Topsham will pay off.

I avoid that part of Route 1 in the summer but will take note if I happen to be in the area and post updates.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rte. 1 construction/Brunswick

This morning there were no workers out (maybe because it was raining?) but there were big orange traffic barrels from Cushing St (near the pedestrian bridge over the Androscoggin) all the way to Cooks corner and one lane of pavement near Cushing had already been torn up.

Yesterday afternoon north/east bound traffic on the Bath Road was terribly clogged, cars were at a standstill almost as far back as Bowdoin College. It took me about ten minutes to cover a mile.

A friend who has a business on the Bath Road says since the Route 1 construction started, the Bath Road has been clogged with folks looking for a way to avoid Route 1. He says traffic usually gets backed up by 11 am and has stayed clogged as late as 7 p.m.

If you are headed to Bailey or Orrs Island, best to get off I-295 in Brunswick, go down Route 123 (the Harpswell Road) and then cross over to Route 24 via the Mountain Road.

If you area headed to Bath and the Midcoast, best to stay on 295 until Topsham.

If you are headed to Camden, Rockland, etc. you might even want to stay on 295 to Augusta and go via Route 17 or 3.

Right now only northbound lanes are under construction, but the southbound traffic seems to be somewhat affected by the backed traffic in the other lane.

9. Re: Rte. 1 construction/Brunswick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 12:24