We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off The Beaten Path

maryland
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Off The Beaten Path

Would like to know if anyone can tell me of a small out-of-the-way lobster port where we could rent either a small cottage or a room at a small bed and breakfast. Would like to be able to watch the lobster boats going in and out and maybe a restaurant or two on the water where we can eat lobster to our hearts content!! Small beach area would be nice but not necessary. Is there such a place?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,885 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off The Beaten Path

No. Small lobstering towns tend to not have a restaurant or two on the water. Once there is a restaurant or two, it becomes a tourist trap and is no longer a small lobstering village.

Maitland, FL
Level Contributor
431 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off The Beaten Path

You could check out Seaside Inn in Port Clyde...seems still rather a rustic lobster fishing place...not discovered quite yet!

Mentioned in this post
Port Clyde
Port Clyde
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Off The Beaten Path

Check out the Coveside B&B (covesidebandb.com) in Georgetown. It's on the water close to the beautiful village of Five Islands, with its lobster wharf. On the wharf, you can get steamed lobster and mussels, fried seafood, burgers and the like, and ice cream. In peak season, the wharf can be crowded, but that means there might be close to 100 people spread out over the wharf and the tables on the rocks nearby.

For a beach, you would only be two miles from Reid State Park, which has two long sandy beaches, as well as gorgeous rock outcroppings. You would also be a short drive away from one of the midcoast's premier restaurants, the Robinhood Free Meetinghouse, and the towns of Bath and Brunswick.

Mentioned in this post
Reid State Park
Reid State Park
236 Reviews
Georgetown, ME
Brunswick
Brunswick
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Portsmouth NH
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Off The Beaten Path

I would try Popham Beach which is more of a vacation spot but you can definatly get a lobster. Also I would try Harpswell Maine a lobstering town. Check the Harpswell Inn which has a main house as well as cottages to stay in.

Mentioned in this post
Harpswell
Harpswell
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Harpswell Inn
Harpswell Inn
98 Reviews
Harpswell, ME
maryland
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Off The Beaten Path

Thank you all so much. This is all vern helpful. Every year my husband has been "surviving" the tropics and sun with the family. I thought it would be nice to give him something a bit more to his liking - and mine as well. We both love to fish and the whole idea of visiting a beautiful, rustic, fishing/lobstering town in Maine just seems the perfect and, well, call me crazy -- romantic gift!! Of course, we both love lobster.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off The Beaten Path

Just about any of the coastal towns in Washington County would satisfy what you are looking for, say Jonesport, Lubec, or Eastport.

Mentioned in this post
Lubec
Lubec
DownEast and Acadia Maine, ME
Eastport
Eastport
DownEast and Acadia Maine, ME
maryland
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Off The Beaten Path

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about Vinylhaven Island (sp?). I did look up the one B&B they have there - Tidewater Inn and it looks and sounds perfect for what we were looking for. Anyone been there or know about this island?

8. Re: Off The Beaten Path

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 00:16