We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop on the midcoast

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stop on the midcoast

My husband and I are driving to Deer Isle in June and are looking for an interesting stopover for a day midway. We stopped in Camden and Ogunquit last time, and would like to try something new this time...perhaps somewhere we can do some birding.What are your favorite midcoast spots?

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop on the midcoast

I don't know about birding, but there aren't any bad choices for overnight stops in MidCoast, Maine.

For a cool place to stop that is a total contrast to Camden and Oqunquit, consider the Pemaquid Penninsula.

Leave Route 1 at Newcastle, drive down through Damariscotta (stop and shop in the little stores if you want), eat supper outside on the deck at Shaw's Wharf in picture-postcard New Harbor, get back to the lighthouse for sunset. Spend the night in the Hotel Pemaquid right there is walking distance to the lighthouse and then the next morning drive back up the other other side of the Peninsula on route 32 through Round Pond.

This is a very quiet area of beautiful fishing villages, quaint country stores (don't miss the little store in Round Pond), lovely saltwater farms, antique stores, and natural beauty.

It's hard to find a lighthouse that compares to Pemaquid Point Lighthouse.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stop on the midcoast

Moody's Diner in Waldoboro (where you'd pick up Route 1 the next morning) is a Maine tradition. Great pies.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Stop on the midcoast

Thank you MicheleS! Pemaquid sounds wonderful and I will look into it. We will keep a look out for Moody's Diner too! What are your thoughts on Boothbay Harbor? I have not been there since I was a kid.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stop on the midcoast

I think Boothbay would be tough for such a short visit. There is so much to see there, I'd save it for when I could spend more time and not feel rushed.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stop on the midcoast

A note about birding, you can catch a puffin watching tour from New Harbor. Check out the Hardy Boat cruise, see http://www.hardyboat.com/

You might want to check and see if the part of June you're visiting is a good time for Puffin spotting.

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Stop on the midcoast

For birding, you might be interested in the Boothbay Region Land Trust. Here's their website:

http://www.bbrlt.org/bbrlt_activities.html

For more general Maine birding info: www.birdingmaine.com

Have a great visit.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Stop on the midcoast

Thanks for the link!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Stop on the midcoast

We took a trip with Old Quarry Tours from Deer Isle two years ago to see the puffins. I would definitely recommend it and may go again!

Now I am torn about stopping in Boothbay or Pemaquid. I realize both have a bit of a different appeal. Ordinarily we would choose the less developed Pemaquid, but since we will be in Acadia for a week I might go with Boothbay for variety...and since it is not yet busy season. We may have two nights to spend.

Michele, I looked up all the stops on your side trip to Pemaquid and they sound just great. Thank you for taking the time...we will definitely visit all those spots either this time or next.

Has anyone else been to Hotel Pemaquid?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Stop on the midcoast

Thanks for the advice Michele. I think we will take the Pemaquid side trip. We'll let you all know how it goes!

10. Re: Stop on the midcoast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 11:26