We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in New England - some advice please

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
41 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
10 days in New England - some advice please

We are flying in to Boston on 27th August for 10 nights. May be our only trip to the region so had originally planned to do the grand tour. However quickly realised that we don't have enough time so have planned the following provisional itinery.

3 days in Boston - doing the historic stuff and hopefully a red sox game - probably stay at the Back Bay Hilton

1 night somewhere up the coast - ? Portland, on the way to Bar Harbor

3 nights in Bar Harbor - the Bar harbor Inn sounds good

Then go inland and loop round towards Boston again with a couple of ovenight stops en route ? Hanover and somewhere else

then 1 night back in Boston before flying home.

Our main objectives (sorry about the pun) will be scenery, gentle walking and the historic stuff. No shopping if I can help it.

We will miss out on cape cod etc but I think that would be too much in 10 days.

Does that sound reasonable/feasible?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in New England - some advice please

That sounds feasible. I agree with you choice to give Cape Cod a miss, it would be too much.

I suggest Portland, the Old Port area, as the stop between Boston and Bar Harbor. It is an interesting area with many fine restaurants. Boston to Portland is between two and three hours driving time.

Portland to Bar Harbor is three to four hours, depending on the route you choose. The fastest route is to take the interstate--I-295 from Portland to just short of Augusta and the I-95 to Bangor. The coastal route, Rte. 1, is considerably slower, especially in July and August. A compromise route would be to take the I-routes to Augusta, then Rte. 3 (exit 113) to Belfast, then Rte. 1 to Ellsworth.

Acadia National Park has about 45 miles of carriage roads (no motor vehicles) well suited for gentle walking. There also are several paths or trails that are easy walks (no climbs to speak of, no scrambling over rocks). Chief among these, I think, are the Wonderland trail on the south side of the island; Jesup Path and the Great Meadow Loop, near Bar Harbor; and the Ocean Drive Path.

Maine
Level Contributor
829 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in New England - some advice please

I'm curious about the inland loop. Is it Hanover, New Hampshire you're referring to? So, looking to see some of the White Mountains, perhaps?

For historical stuff, there's quite a bit in the Portland are, particularly around the maritime industry, so more than one night could keep you pleasantly occupied.

The Red Sox are in town on the first leg of your trip. You'll want to get tickets ahead of time; I've had good luck with stubhub.com

Maine
Level Contributor
829 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in New England - some advice please

Portland area, of course, not "are"

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in New England - some advice please

Might want to book Boston nice and early, because colleges are coming back around that time and parents will fill up rooms. Also, Labor Day Sat & Sun will be busy in Maine.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
41 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days in New England - some advice please

thanks for the advice folks - yes was thinking of coming back via hanover new hampshire - anuone got any suggestions for a stop between bar harbor and hanover?

Maine
Level Contributor
829 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days in New England - some advice please

Just one more question: Hanover is a definite? Or, you just picked it on a map? I do have some ideas, depending on that...

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
41 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days in New England - some advice please

hanover is not a definate - my daughter spent a semester at Dartmouth and would like to walk a few yards of the apallachian trail which is why I thought of it - but don't like the look of the hanover hotels so any other suggestion welcome

8. Re: 10 days in New England - some advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2009, 06:28