We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day road trip - art orientated

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 day road trip - art orientated

Hello,

I am an Australian artist wanting to do a 4 day road trip along the coast to visit some of the areas Edward Hopper painted, and to get some inspiration for my work. I thought I could take the train from Boston, and pick up a car in Salem and start there. I would like to go to Cape Cod but its further south, would I be better just to head to portland and Bar harbour rather than going south.. Would so appreciatge any help on with my itinerary!!!

THanks

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day road trip - art orientated

I'm not an artist but I think that there are two areas that you should consider.

One is Monhegan Island, where Hopper and the Wyeths visited and painted. The other is the Rockland/Cushing area. Rockland is home to the Wyeth Center in the Farnsworth Museum. Cushing, just south of Thomaston, is the site of the Olson House (Christina's World and many other Wyeth paintings). It also is where Christina and Alvero Olson, and now Andrew Wyeth, are buried.

Mentioned in this post
Monhegan Island
Monhegan Island
280 Reviews
Monhegan Island, ME
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Sydney, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day road trip - art orientated

Hi there,

thanks so much, I will definitely try and make it to the places you suggested, I paint in a similar manner to Wyeth, and both he and Hopper have been very string influences.

my website is www.anwenkeeling.com.au

THanks for the tip!

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day road trip - art orientated

Should you want to have a stop in Portland, the Portland Museum of Art is a lovely museum, with many of all three Wyeths' works. I was thinking they had a Hopper or two, but not finding it on their collection. Maybe it was a special exhibit I saw. See http://www.portlandmuseum.org/

Although it's a private home now, the setting of "Lighthouse at Two Lights" is only 15 minutes from intown Portland. Those spots in Cape Elizabeth, Two Lights State Park and nearby Fort Williams, home of Portland Headlight, offer spectacular rocky coast settings.

Just down the peninsula from Rockland is Tenant's Harbor, where Jamie Wyeth owns one of the wharfs. He has a home on one of the islands. These small fishing communities are a joy to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Portland Museum of Art
Portland Museum of Art
1,274 Reviews
Portland, ME
Fort Williams Park
Fort Williams Park
471 Reviews
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
4. Re: 4 day road trip - art orientated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2009, 06:18