We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family vacation on the coast

Montreal
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Family vacation on the coast

Hi!

We're taking a trip to the coast with our 3 boys (1, 4 and 5) from June 24 to July 1st. They've never been to a beach before!

The places we're interested in are Old Orchard Beach, Ogunquit, Hampton Beach and Boston (for a sight-seeing break).

We'd like to stay in a motel somewhere and use it as a base, as these places are all within reasonable day-tripping distance.

Here's the question: where (which town and hotel/motel) should we stay? Something affordable (under $120) and family friendly. We'll be bringing our own crib for the babe. We don't mind winging it, so we could always switch accommodations somewhere in the middle of the trip if we don't like it.

Any suggestions?

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family vacation on the coast

Hi Julia,

I would try looking in Ogunquit as that'll be closer to NH and Boston and not too far from Old Orchard Beach. A good middle ground.

As for inexpensive motels... I can't really help you out there. You might want to google the Ogunquit Chamerb of Commerce as they act as a Visitors site and offer tons of info on accomodations, where to dine, what to see, etc. They'll also supply links to just about everything.

Another suggestion would to be purchase or borrow a copy of Christina Tree's 'Maine: An Explorer's Guide'. This is a great guidebook with all kinds of accurate and up to date info. She'll provide recommendations on all kinds of accomodations from very inexpensive to top of the line.

Good luck with your plans :).

cozyharbor

Barre, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
144 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family vacation on the coast

If those are the 4 places you're visiting, then you definitely want to stay somewhere in the middle, either Ogunquit or Hampton. Since you're doing day trips, it doesn't matter if you're actually staying AT the beach, so I'd actually recommend finding a hotel just off I-95, but not actually in one of those beach towns. For example, you can probably get more for your money at a hotel in Seabrook than in the next town over Hampton.

By the way, you've chosen my favorite 3 beaches (Hampton, Ogunquit, Old Orchard). We'll actually be at Old Orchard the same week.

Montreal
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family vacation on the coast

Thanks for your suggestions!

I ended up reserving 3 nights at the Wells-Ogunquit Resort Motel. I'll be writing a review when we return.

For the other half of our trip, I think we'll stay in Woburn just outside of Boston. Then we can day-trip to Gloucester (I hear the whale-watching is great there) and Boston.

Thanks again,

Julia

Maitland, FL
Level Contributor
431 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family vacation on the coast

Just ate yesterday at the Maine Diner. I was worried it may be not good and too touristy BUT...really great haddock sandwich and I felt reasonably priced. It would be near where you will be.

5. Re: Family vacation on the coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2009, 05:35