We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maine/Canada Border Crossings

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Maine/Canada Border Crossings

I'm preparing for a situation with an upcoming trip and would like to hear any advice.

We're taking advantage of a last minute really cheap airfare to Bangor and were planning on spending a few days around Bar Harbor, up to Lubec and then New Brunswick and PEI. One of our party of 5 realized their passport had expired (everyone else has a valid passport) and so sent it in right away to get renewed. Problem is, it hasn't arrived yet. They have their birth certificate, driver's license, receipt for the passport renewal. Do you think we'll have dificulties:

1. Getting into Canada

2. Returning to the U.S.

If we're not allowed to enter Canada we'll have to have a 'plan B' for 3 days to spend in Maine instead, within the drivable distance of Bangor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maine/Canada Border Crossings

They can get online and check the status of their passport. The website is on the paperwork they received when they went to renew. Did they choose the expedited option?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maine/Canada Border Crossings

Typical for the federal govt, when you send a query it takes 5-7 days to get answer about the status of the passport, and we're leaving in 2 days.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maine/Canada Border Crossings

Hi Notenut,

Don't know if this is still accurate, but when I went to coastal Canada a few years back, I didn't have a passport and there was no problem. I did have my birth certificate and driver's license and that was fine. Also I'm a Maine resident. But again, that was a few years ago and things could have changed.

I would contact the Bangor or Maine Chamber of Commerce and ask if birth certificates and driver's licenses are still acceptable as i.d. to cross over to Canada and then return. I'm sure they'll know or at minimum will be able to direct to who would.

Good luck!

cozyharbor

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maine/Canada Border Crossings

You may want to check with homeland security as they may accept the expired passport as proof of citizenship in conjunction with a Birth certificate and Drivers License. It may take a little longer to get through customs as they try to confirm your identity.

1 (877) CBP-5511

Maine
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Maine/Canada Border Crossings

State Department info on traveling to Canada:

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html

Looks like your friend should be able to get into Canada okay but returning might be a problem (follow links to requirements to reenter the country). Though I can't imagine with the amount of proof your friend has that it would amount to much more than a delay.

Be aware that Canada doesn't care for visitors with any sort of criminal record, including misdeamenors and DUIs. However, a friend of mine with a past DUI found that for $300 he could purchase a waiver at the entry station.

Also, take a look at driving time to PEI as well as your rental car agreement to take the vehicle to Canada.

For other Maine options it would help to know what types of activities your group is interested in.

6. Re: Maine/Canada Border Crossings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2009, 06:22