We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your favorite small coastal town?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Your favorite small coastal town?

We are looking into a summer cottage rental next year and I'm trying to figure out where. We've been to Bar Harbor before on a cruise and I'm looking for another quaint, picturesque town. From what I've read, I'd like to see Ogunquit, Boothbay Harbor and Camden. So maybe Boothbay Harbor would be a good location central to those? Or are there other places you'd recommend? Thanks!

Susan

Mentioned in this post
Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your favorite small coastal town?

I forgot to add that we also were at Portland and Kennebunkport on the cruise and loved them both.

Mentioned in this post
Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport
Kennebunks, ME
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your favorite small coastal town?

Well, my actual favorite is South Bristol, but it would be much quieter than Bar Harbor. Out of the choices you pose, I'd vote for Boothbay Harbor.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your favorite small coastal town?

My actual fav is Castine, but it's truly at the end of the road, near nothing.

If you like beaches, I'd go with Ogunquit which is near many beaches. As you suggest, Boothbay would be your most central location---and only an hour and a half to Portland. But somehow I don't think of Boothbay as quaint. Camden is a bit closer to some other good towns (Rockport, Rockland).

Mentioned in this post
Boothbay
Boothbay
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Rockport
Rockport
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your favorite small coastal town?

Hi sjde,

There are many quaint and picturesque towns in Maine that I'm not surprized you're having a tough time deciding where to rent!

Of course, I vote for Boothbay Harbor. It has lots to offer in many ways. First there are ALOT of summer cottage rentals to choose from. Check out the cottage connection online. They'll have prices and lots of pictures inside and out of places for rent.

You can rent right in town if you like lots of action or you can go just a few miles down the road and be in a place where you'll feel a million miles away from all the hustle and bustle.

There's lots to do in BBH for adults as well as kids. There are the nature preserves/trails of the Boothbay Region Land Trust, many with spectacular views out to sea, rivers, coves and harbors. There's the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens, again with lots of trails with views to the water, but also a beautiful visitor center w/cafe and of course, gardens and flowers everywhere. They also offer lectures and guided tours as well as the Land Trust.

Then there's all the boat tours, fishing trips, scenic drives, kayaking and great places to walk.

At night there's the Harbor Theatre with first run movies, the Opera House which offers all kinds of entertainment from Celtic singers, to commediennes, to plays and lectures. There's also a couple of venues that offer plays and musicals in addition to the Opera House. On Thursday nights are the free band concerts on the library lawn. There's the small aquarium on McKnown Pt. Church suppers, and always garage sales, craft shows, etc.

If you have kids, there's the Y with all kinds of programs and in indoor pool for those rainy/foggy days, the Boothbay Harbor and Southport Yacht Clubs which offer tennis and sailing camps (my kids took tennis and sailing from age 8 to about 14 from both clubs and loved it). There's the Railway Village, Mini-golf and the old fashion bowling alley right in town which also has a pool table and pinball or video games (forget which as its been awhile since I've been there).

Then there's downtown with all the shops and a plethora of art galleries and restaurants.

However, there are many other coastal towns that offer much of the same :).

My favorite towns after BBH of course, are Stonington and Winter Harbor on the Schoodic Peninsula. However, I also like the Kennebunks as a contrast to these areas. Biddeford Pool is lovely and so are the Popham Beach and Reid State Park beach areas. The Pemaquid Peninsula is beautiful also.

Rockland's a great, funky little town w/lots of art galleries, the Farnsworth Museum and neat restaurants. I also like the St. George Peninsula.

Have I confused you, lol?

Why not purchase a copy of Christina Tree's 'Maine: An Explorer's Guide' and browse through her descriptions of the areas you might be interested in. She gives objective and accurate write ups of all the areas of Maine and that might help.

Good luck and let us know where you decide to go :).

cozyharbor

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Boothbay Region Land Trust
Boothbay Region Land...
130 Reviews
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens
Coastal Maine Botanical...
1,468 Reviews
Boothbay, ME
Southport
Southport
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Stonington
Stonington
Deer Isle, ME
Winter Harbor
Winter Harbor
DownEast and Acadia Maine, ME
Schoodic Peninsula
Schoodic Peninsula
314 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Reid State Park
Reid State Park
236 Reviews
Georgetown, ME
5. Re: Your favorite small coastal town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 05:19