We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is rockland area a good destination for family - 2 nights?

washington, dc
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
is rockland area a good destination for family - 2 nights?

We are a family of 4 looking to stay somewhere around Rocklaqnd Maine for 2-3 days. I don't have any idea if it is the best town to go on coastal main (in that vicinity) - or of where to stay. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to this post

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: is rockland area a good destination for family - 2 nights?

Rockland is more of a working town and not the picturesque coastal town you may have in mind. Rockport is more scenic. The most scenic and popular in the immediate area is Camden. Farther up the bay is Belfast, not such a touristy or upscale town as Camden but completely charming. Lots of motels on Rte 1 North just outside town. I'd also suggest Union, Me., which is inland a bit from Camden but has a nice country feel and a lake to swim in. Boothbay Harbor, of course, is a big and scenic tourist resort, and not as far Downeast as Rockland.

From near Rockland (Port Clyde), if it's nice, you can go over to beautiful Monhegan Is for the day.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is rockland area a good destination for family - 2 nights?

thanks so much - very helpful!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is rockland area a good destination for family - 2 nights?

Rockland's downtown has changed dramatically in the past few years. There are several good restaurants, the Farnsworth Museum (currently hosting a Robert Indiana exhibit), fun shops, etc. You can also head out to Vinalhaven from the ferry terminal there.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
363 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is rockland area a good destination for family - 2 nights?

I would second the motion for Camden. In the summer there are concerts at the Library which is lovely and there are craft booths. I think everyone would enjoy walking near the library and seeing the great view of the harbor. There are shops I think even children would like. It really has a better family feel for my taste. Everything is pretty compact in the main part of Camden and you can walk around and enjoy all the shops and restaurants. I would google information regrading summer events there and see if there is something specific that might interest your family.

5. Re: is rockland area a good destination for family - 2 nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2009, 05:16