We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for advice on what to see on South Coast

Sacramento, CA
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for advice on what to see on South Coast

We are visiting Boston during the week of July 6-10 and will take a day trip sometime during the week to the South Coast. We'd probably like to stay within 2 hours of Boston, so it looks like we could get as far as Kennebunkport or maybe a little further. I'm looking for advice as to what we should be sure and see that day.

We are 40-ish and my daughter is 18. We're definitely outdoorsy folk, so it's stuff like natural wonders, historical places, etc. that we want to see. Shopping is not so important and we'd probably pass on anything indoors or anything too artsy. I also really want to experience "the best of the best" in terms of local foods. We are much more inclined to like the places that the locals know about, as opposed to the tourist meccas.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

-- Mike in Sacramento, CA

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for advice on what to see on South Coast

Hi MGood777,

Wish I had read this post before your other one. I could have combined my replies. Oh well.

Though I don't know the southern coast as well as I know the midcoast, I can recommend again to google the Kennebunk and Ogunquit Chamber's of Commerce which provide lots and lots of visitor info and free guides and maps. I'm sure they'll have lists of nature preserves, good hiking areas, etc.

They'll also have info and links for restaurants, accomodations, etc.

Hopefully someone more familiar with the area will respond in time for your trip. If you don't get a response right away, post again so your request/post doesn't drop off the first page.

Again, good luck!

cozyharbor

P.S. If you're willing to drive as far as Portland, which is about 2 hours or so, I highly recommend going to Portland Headlight. There's a beautiful park there with easy hiking trails, a large grassy area great for picnicing and flying kites or throwing a frissbee and of course the breathtaking views from the lighthouse.

Nearby is Two Lights Lobster Shack for lobster, burgers, etc. The views are spectacular and there is plenty of outdoor seating as well as a limited amount of indoor seating if the weather's bad.

Maitland, FL
Level Contributor
430 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for advice on what to see on South Coast

Please keep in mind that in July the traffic could be very bad, even during the week. I just drove through Kennebunkport last week, Wednesday, and it was horrendous! For a day trip from Boston I would stick more towards the very south - The Yorks. See - www.gatewaytomaine.org .

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for advice on what to see on South Coast

There are a number of lighthouses along the lower coast, Portland Head being one of the best as another poster mentioned. I agree with the last poster about the traffic - if you want to drive up the coastal road which is definately more scenic and goes right through Kennebunk, etc., you should figure on not averaging much over 40 miles per hour in the height of the season - even that may be pushing it.

There are also some cruises from the lower coast which will take you out to some of the islands and can pull into different ports, avoiding the road traffic.

California
Level Contributor
163 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for advice on what to see on South Coast

Hi Mike,

Try and avoid making the drive on a weekend, and take Route 1/1A rather than the 95 once you hit the Portsmouth area. It's a beautiful, beautiful drive. A few recommendations:

Chauncey Creek Lobster Pier (kinda hard to find, but great place to have lobster on a beautiful day - wwww. chaunceycreek.com). You can bring your own sides (chips, potato salad, etc) and your own beer, wine soda, and just order your lobster from them.

The Nubble Light - have an ice cream at Fosters.

A walk along the Marginal Way in Ogunquit. If it's a nice day and you can find parking for the day in Ogunquit/Perkins Cove, a cocktail cruise from Finest Kind in Perkins Cove is always fun. Fun to get out on the water, and the view of the coastline from the water is pretty, esp Bald Head cliff.

If you skip the Ogunquit/Kennebunkport area and head up to Portland, the Portland Head Light is a must see. Another fun activity is to take the ferry over to Peaks Island and rent bikes and ride around.

Have fun! We from CA as well (SoCal) but go to Maine every summer, we'll be there the same time as you this year :-)

Diane

5. Re: Looking for advice on what to see on South Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2009, 05:20