We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westport Island

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Westport Island

What is this island like? We are looking at a rental cottage in the area.

Thanks!

Sue

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westport Island

Hi sjde,

From what little I know of Westport Island, it seems to be very nice. I've only driven through it a few times.

I do know that its relatively close to the town of Wiscasset which has lots of antique shops, a few restaurants, etc., and is about 45 minutes or so to Boothbay Harbor. Le Garage is a nice place to dine in Wiscasset. Avoid Sarah's. Red's Eats is good too. I think the Robinhood Meetinghouse restaurant is in Westport. I've never dined there, but everyone I know who has, raves about it. Keep in mind its very upscale and expensive.

Maybe someone with more detailed knowledge of Westport will pipe in and reply.

Good luck!

cozyharbor

P.S. I don't know how you're researching/finding cottages to rent, but if you haven't checked out the Cottage Connection, you might want to give it a try. Just google the business and it'll come up. They list 100s of places to rent and have a good reputation.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westport Island

Thanks! I've been using cottageconnection and vrbo.com and cyberrentals.

How important is air conditioning there?

United States
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westport Island

Sjde,

Westport Island is in an ideal area for kayaking and any water activity. It is very quiet. There are a couple of nice lobster shacks on the water where you can get the lobster cooked right off the boats. Sailing, if you are an experienced sailor is also ideal. There are so many lobster bouys in the water that you have to be a good navigator but the ocean in Maine is about as nice as it gets. Speaking of lobster,did I mention that you will be in lobster heaven. These Islands are very quiet and rustic. On the "finger" adjacent to Westport Island is Georgetown, which is where the restaurant Robinhood Meetinhouse is located. The chef Mr. Gagne is quite well known in Maine. I have been there several times and tho on the higher end the food is well worth it. Nothing in Maine in summer is very dressy, no suits, a scarf can work wonders,casual summer. Biking is also popular in the area, also in Georgetown is Reid State Park which has a lovely beach. This part of Maine and north has remained very beautiful and rustic. the best advice is to explore, I have been summering in Maine for over 30 years and still find searching the "fingers" fun. There are so many good restaurants that it is only a question of how many times you will be going out and the price range. Reds in Wiscasset is overrated, I feel.The Maine State Music Theater in Brunswick has wonderful summer music events. You will also be close to Rockland where there are several great restaurants.

4. Re: Westport Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2009, 05:17