We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

request feedback on Down East lodging

Saint Louis
Level Contributor
35 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
request feedback on Down East lodging

Well I think I have it narrowed down. I am traveling with my 91 yr old mother and we will be staying about 4 or 5 nights in this area. I am trying to balance a few variables: two beds, ground floor, step-in shower, price and slightly off the beaten track. I have read reviews online such as they are but would appreciate any further guidance information [or additional suggestions] that anyone would be willing to share. Thanks in advance.

Harbor View Motel & Cottages, Southwest Harbor

Isleview Motel & Cottages, Trenton

Eden Village, Bar Harbor [has anyone stayed here since the 2007 renovations?]

Here are some others I'm interested in but am awaiting information from their management:

-- Taunton River B&B, Sullivan

-- Elsa's Inn, Prospect Harbor

-- The Bluff House, Gouldsboro

-- Cromwell Harbor Motel, Bar Harbor

-- Cafe Dry Dock & Inn, Southwest Harbor

-- Open Hearth Inn & Cottages, Trenton

Maine
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: request feedback on Down East lodging

Look at the Bar Harbor motel(do not confuse with the Inn). The rooms in the back are bigger. It is quiet and well maintained. There is a connecting trail to the carriage road in the back. The pool is nice too. The location is good. You can buy breakfast across the street at Bayview motel. Bayview also has townhomes available which are family friendly and you can cook your own meals. I would avoid Dry Dock and Trenton. Harbor view has different owners. stayed there once but no pool I do not believe

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,482 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: request feedback on Down East lodging

That's really quite a mix of locations. I think you might find Sullivan, Prospect Harbor and Gouldsboro to be a bit TOO off the beaten track. If it is Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park that you want to visit, those areas will be a long 40 minute drive to Bar Harbor, along a fairly busy highway. On the other hand, if you want to explore, by car, the small villages further downeast, like Machias, Winter Harbor, and Lubec, you would be well located for that.

Open Hearth Inn is right on the busy highway. Cafe Dry Dock and Inn is right on the most congested street in Southwest Harbor, although that would be good for walking out the door and strolling the village streets, all two of them.

Isleview Motel and Cottages is also right on the highway leading to Bar Harbor and Acadia.

Cromwell Harbor Motel is nicely located on the quiet end of Main Street in Bar Harbor, set back from the road. Harbor View Motel and Cottages are also nicely located on a quiet side street in Southwest Harbor. Eden Village (don't know much about it) is nicely located, outside of town and convenient to both the village of Bar Harbor and the main entrance to Acadia National Park.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: request feedback on Down East lodging

The places you've listed are all over the place in terms of location. Do you want to spend most of your time in Acadia, or do you want to go to the true Downeast Maine? Have you thought about staying on-island for a few nights then off-island for a few?

When I traveled with my mom (late 70s) to Bar Harbor last year she liked her sightseeing in short, manageable segments. So, we'd ride, shop, eat, etc. for a couple of hours, then she wanted to go back to the motel and nap or rest. If most of your agenda is built around seeing things on Mount Desert Island and your lodging is off-island, it will be a real hassle to have to drive back to your motel/B&B every time she needs a break.

We stayed smack in the middle of town at the Acadia Hotel, and when I took her back to the hotel for her rest, I could get right back out. Of all the places you've listed, the Cromwell Harbor is probably best for that, but the two places in Southwest might be good, too, if you do your sightseeing on the other side of the island. Southwest is a nice little village, a working fishing community with a generous number of stores, a good bakery, a few cafes, ice cream shop, etc.

Cafe Dry Dock & Inn has a popular late-night bar. I'd want to make sure any lodging was out of earshot so your sleep isn't interrupted by the bar patrons.

I wouldn't pick Trenton because it's not a destination in itself, but a drive to anything you want to do. Think "strip of tourist traps" alongside the highway.

Propspect Harbor and Gouldsboro are great jumping-off points if you want to see Washington County, which is a much quieter part of Maine. These are primarily working fishing villages with less stuff for tourists, but lots of natural beauty. I don't know either of the establishments you've listed, only the general areas.

Also, there are fewer eating options in the smaller areas (Trenton, Gouldsboro, Prospect Harbor).

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,731 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: request feedback on Down East lodging

we personally stayed at the Open Hearth Inn and cottages. Reserved a cottage. Owners were very nice and home made muffins for breakfast. (very limited breakfast choices and space, but muffins were great!) :) Cottages seem to have been "redone" inside? but only an electric heater you plug in and no coffee maker. It is VERY small!!!! Room enough for the bed and that was about it. it also sits right on the main BUSY street. Cottages are very close together and at the time (last fall) the exteriors needed redone very badly as well as the parking space next to your cottage. Not a "bad" place honestly, but... would not be my first choice. Hate to say that since the owners were very kind.

Saint Louis
Level Contributor
35 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: request feedback on Down East lodging

Thank you so much for all your feedback! -- especially the comments on drive time. I have wondered about that as I've been looking at mileage from one point to another but drive times [from MapQuest] seemed inflated. I was wondering the reason for that and I was guessing that the roads are windy or hilly. However, while we will have some sort of agenda, we ARE on vacation and not in a hurry to get from one place to another. For us, the easiest way to see things is from the car, getting out to take a walk where the paths are paved and to have lunch or dinner.

Right now our plan is to spend a day each driving around enjoying the scenery [and lighthouses and gardens] on the Blue Hill Peninsula and Deer Isle; Mount Desert Island; Schoodic Peninsula; and the west side of Acadia -- SW Harbor, Seawall, Bass Harbor, etc. We have five days to do that and we'll adjust when we get there if its too ambitious. Mostly we want to explore this area because the last two years have been spent exploring the Mid-Coast and the South.

Thanks again. This group is so helpful. I will post my feedback when I return.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: request feedback on Down East lodging

You could easily do each of those day trips while staying in Bar Harbor. It will be a little further to get off the island (but not more than 10-15 minutes) if you decide to stay in SW Harbor. In my opinion, I'd opt to stay at one place for five nights than jump around from hotel to hotel. You'll spend lots of time packing and unpacking, checking in and checking out.

7. Re: request feedback on Down East lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2010, 05:17