We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maine wildlife -September

Galilee IL
10 posts
Save Topic
Maine wildlife -September

That would be our first time visit to Maine (also the USA).

I will be visiting with my two children aged 7 and 10

and we will have probably 4/5 days.

We will start our journey with a rental car from White plains NY.

Our main interest is wildlife.

"Dad, can we see a wild Moose please..."

I would prefer a whole year for such a beautiful place.

We have few general questions before we get more specific ones.

The guide books are on the way so we don't really know what to expect.

we can choose one of the september weeks (2nd 3rd or last week).

What should we expect from the weather ?

We are a bit on the budget, and also prefer tenting.

To begin with I think we need a coastal base for two nights (Bar Harbour ?) and from there explore (only taste) the beauty of Maine coast.

Take 1-2 tours for Whale watching, Seals and Puffins

(Is it the right season ?), also few hikes for scenery.

Next base should be located probably around Moosehead lake, Millinoket or Baxter state park,

where we can look for Moose and Beavers ourselves and take a Moose safari, and maybe a hike.

Would appreciate any advice.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
United States
United States
North America
Moosehead Lake
Moosehead Lake
230 Reviews
Greenville, ME
Baxter State Park
Baxter State Park
335 Reviews
Millinocket, ME
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maine wildlife -September

The first week of Maine's moose hunt starts September 28, so I would choose an earlier week! You would also have nicer tenting weather earlier in September. I think you're on the right track with your destinations (although I am wondering why the trip starts in White Plains).

Mentioned in this post
White Plains
White Plains
Westchester County, NY
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maine wildlife -September

By the third week of September you will begin to see some fall foliage, especially away from the coast, where the leaves turn last because of the warming effect of the ocean. Weather should be highs in the 70s, lows in the 50sF. It is indeed the right season for whales but not for puffins. They leave in the early summer.

Their are two campgrounds right in Acadia, more in the surrounding area of Bar Harbor. Look at the Acadia National Park web site for camping.

It is a long, long drive from White Plains, NY to Acadia National Park -- probably ten hours in the car. A flight to Bangor, Maine will put you much, much closer to both Acadia and Baxter State Park.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
White Plains
White Plains
Westchester County, NY
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
Baxter State Park
Baxter State Park
335 Reviews
Millinocket, ME
Southern Maine
Level Contributor
656 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maine wildlife -September

CB makes a good point about the moose hunt- not only would it be somewhat dangerous to be in the woods, it would be a little traumatic to see the moose in the back of someone's pickup truck.

An interesting visit for kids is the Common Ground Fair in Unity, sponsored by MOFGA- the organic farmers' organization. It's usually the third weekend in September.

Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maine wildlife -September

We just got back from Maine and there were people talking in one of the stores we stopped at about numerous moose sightings around Rangeley. In the past we have seen them near Wilsons Mills, ME and Colebrook, NH. Good times/dangerous driving times are early AM just after sunrise for a couple of hours and in the evening. Drive very cautiously and ask locals of sightings. Have camera out, binoculars out and constantly scan by the roadside and in swampy, wetlands with nearby cover.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
5. Re: Maine wildlife -September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2010, 05:18